Registering cars from abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Does anyone have experience of registering cars from abroad?
I suspect that if the car arrives complete it's not too difficult, probably no more so than re-registering the one I bought that had been declared scrapped...but what if it arrives with no engine?

Would it not be required to pass a UK MOT ?

Would it not be required to pass a UK MOT ?

The two are not connected. I took the last one before it was officially registered, but only because it was ready...sort of. It failed on two minor points and on retest it passed and after phoning DVLA the V5 arrived the same day, so I could tax it.

I don't know if one without an engine might need an SVA or not be classed as the original car.

might it be treated like a "kit car" that has a donor engine from say a ford

I have registered cars which were ex UK registered in France, and re-registered one of them (a RHD) back in UK 9 years later. The re-registration in UK was painless, but involved a personal visit to the now fast vanishing local DVLA office. Even had it been originally foreign registered, provided it was from an EU country there is no problem. You will need the old reg doc and a MOT cert if applicable.

One thing you should be aware of is that if you are UK resident you MUST NOT (see DVLA website) drive a foreign registered car in UK. If you do and cannot prove you are ex UK resident you may be charged with evading RFT. Kafkaesque if you ask me, but that's EU integration for you. This may not be a problem for you if your car has no engine!!

I have recently become aware that HMRC operate a new 'NOVA' system (HM Revenue & Customs: Notifying HMRC and paying VAT on vehicles brought into the UK) which adds further joy to dealing with the bureaucrats. I have no personal experience of this, but you may have soon.

Bon courage

I imported a Toyota Rav 4 in 2007 from Ukraine, I had owned it for more than two years when I lived there.
Because I had owned it for more than two years abroad when I imported it I avoided import duty and taxes, I had to keep it for at least a year in the UK then I could sell it without any problems.
I drove it here in UK for about 3 months on Ukrainian plates and documents, whilst I registered it here, I had to move the rear fog light because it was on the wrong side, change the speedometer from kilometers to miles, change the headlights and replace the front door windows because they were black privacy glass.
Then a trip up to Newcastle to a Vosa testing station to have it checked for UK complacency.
After that it was a visit to the local Toyota dealer for MOT test and then the local DVLA office to get my V5 and a new MOT showing the correct registration plus the tax disc and a letter which was took to Halfrauds for the number plates.
All in all quite a convoluted affair but worth it in the end! :thumb:

I have now discovered that one car in question does have a registration document, but not in the owners name...though he does have a receipt for the sale to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom