Removing glue from rear shelf?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambcl

Car
CLK350 Sport (W209)
Anyone have any recommendations for removing glue residue from car interior?

Like from a mascot or something, it's left behind a square patch of sticky glue.
I have seen glue/tar removers but they seem to be meant for the exterior, bit scared to try them on a car interior.

Any products or tricks I can try?

I think you are right to be very cautious about any solvent or 'remover'.

I would warm it with a hairdryer then 'peel' it off using a strong adhesive tape. Something like gaffer tape would be good, the ultimate though is the sticky side of Velcro tape (expensive!).

As above, bit of heat and try rolling it off with your finger may be preferable.

Maybe the tiniest bit of tar remover would soften it but obviously want to be careful it doesn't react to the plastic.

I've used the hairdrier trick when removing stickers from glass, etc but this rear shelf has an alcantara finish, not plastic, so I'm worried about it staining even further.

That Goo Gone looks like it could be good.

I have already ordered some Stoner Xenit Cleaner and Remover which mentioned it could remove glue, but if that doesn't work I'll try the Goo Gone stuff.

I'm thinking of masking off the unaffected areas, dabbing on the Xenit or Goo Gone and then trying to tease it off with another sticky pad.

We'll see how it goes.

Go into your local dry cleaners and ask for there advice, the are experts at dealing with all sorts of issues like this, the might even do the job for you.

Dec

Place a new mascot on top :bannana::p

hqdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom