Removing hard water spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pembssurf

Car
toyota
It's washed the car at home where we have pretty hard water with lots of deposits and now what should be a lovely clean car is covered in water spots all over, thousands of them. Is white vinegar still the cheapest and easiest way to remove these as they seem pretty stubborn to move.? Will vinegar to any damage to the paint?

Previous car was white so never noticed it before but now with magnetite black paint boy does it stand out!

Personally I wouldn't use vinegar. I'd dry it with a good quality microfibre drying towel then give it a coat of Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Demon shine, spray on shine (pink spray) and a microfibre whilst it's still wet is quick and cheap...

Once you get rid of them, start collecting rain water in a water butt. I use rain water to wash my car and haven't had water spot issues for years.

The water here is very hard, so the wash process always includes Meguiars Last Touch, bought by the gallon, and diluted a bit.

It's either sprayed onto the wet car immediately after a hose rinse, acting as a drying aid, or applied after drying. Sometimes i do both!

In each case the car's dried using a soft microfibre drying towel, leaving no water marks.

Thanks all. Will just washing again in softer water remove the crusty deposits I have on there now?

Thanks all. Will just washing again in softer water remove the crusty deposits I have on there now?
To a large extent, yes.

It's always easier to avoid the problem in the first place so if you live in a hard water area get yourself a DI Vessel - you'll be amazed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running the tap water through a deionizer will take most of the devolved salts and minerals.
Neutral PH and soft water.
Easy to do but you'll need a deionizer to achieve

I have one for my fish tank.
You can get what's called a RO unit but they are very wasteful and would be expensive if you on a meter

I had a Red Volvo which suffered from water spots, The only thing i found that removed them was vinegar.

I found this info on another forum -- autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html

I've found that water spots can be worse depending on how well your car is protected.

Once they're on their, you may find a really gentle polish (good old Super Resin) will do the trick at removing them. Obviously not something you'll want to do each time you wash your car though.

My car is sealed and waxed but I use Gyeon Wetcoat or Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo. Both leave a hydrophobic coating behind and I find water marks simply wipe off with the drying towel. Even on glass where they are far more noticeable. :)

pembssurf said:
It's washed the car at home where we have pretty hard water with lots of deposits and now what should be a lovely clean car is covered in water spots all over, thousands of them. Is white vinegar still the cheapest and easiest way to remove these as they seem pretty stubborn to move.? Will vinegar to any damage to the paint? Previous car was white so never noticed it before but now with magnetite black paint boy does it stand out!
No need for vinegar, there is a product made for removing water spots and also leaves a glossy finish " Koch chemie FSE"

merc85 said:
I had a Red Volvo which suffered from water spots, The only thing i found that removed them was vinegar.
You need to try Koch chemie FSE then..

Really do give rain water a try, you never go back to tap again... unless it's treated.

Mother Nature is a petrol head too :D

Koch Chemie FSE is the go to product for this! Brill stuff, German of course

Once you get rid of them, start collecting rain water in a water butt. I use rain water to wash my car and haven't had water spot issues for years.

Mister Major Sir, you are a genius!:D

I have just tried this:

I have a Hozelock Electric Water Butt Pump (careful how you say that) that bought years ago on special offer to water my Garden, it's powerful enough to feed my Pressure Washer. After my wash routine I used it to rinse off and it works a treat! :bannana:

Just you watch, now that I have found something that costs me next to nothing, we will now have a blistering hot Summer and a hose pipe ban!:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom