Removing oxidization on headlight lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forrester123

Car
E 320
My '03 E320 had bad corrosion on the top half of the headlight lenses.
After looking at several remedies on You Tube, I decided to have a go.
First used 600 W & D using plenty of water, then next 1200 w/d, using lots of elbow grease.
I was a bit worried that the lenses were now completely cloudy!
Next step was to use a rubbing compound [ I used baking soda & vinegar ], again with plenty of effort. Keep wiping down using a water spray. Looking good, but still needed work.
Finished off with T-Cut & hey presto clear headlight lenses!
May need a sealer to stop it oxidizing again.

as recommended to me, I tried the Colgate toothpaste remedy on my head lamps, and it worked...to a degree anyway :) they had a small area about the size of a 10p, at the top of each unit, which needed attention, and although I should really do it again, its much better than it was :)

My '03 E320 had bad corrosion on the top half of the headlight lenses.
After looking at several remedies on You Tube, I decided to have a go.
First used 600 W & D using plenty of water, then next 1200 w/d, using lots of elbow grease.
I was a bit worried that the lenses were now completely cloudy!
Next step was to use a rubbing compound [ I used baking soda & vinegar ], again with plenty of effort. Keep wiping down using a water spray. Looking good, but still needed work.
Finished off with T-Cut & hey presto clear headlight lenses!
May need a sealer to stop it oxidizing again.

Make sure you get every trace of T.cut off the lenses before using any sealer/wax etc: T. cut reacts badly to direct sunlight and heat and will start to 'craze' the lense in a short while. (I used G3 finishing polish) on mine and they are like brand new and require no top coat at all. T. cut does it's job quite well but leaves behind some really damaging residue! Just a helpful hint
. :thumb:

When I buy a car to sell, its always got fogged headlights. Get a pot, fill it with water and pour it over the head lights. Then get toothpaste, put it on a cloth and begin rubbing it over the headlights. After about 30 seconds you will see that all the water will get absorbed rubbing the toothpaste in the car becomes really hard. Thats when that crap starts to come off, takes a hell of alot elbow grease but after around 5 mins of scrubbing, the difference is amazing!

Meguiars headlight resoration kit plus drill works wonders. Problem is I forgot to seal the headlights, so they oxidised again :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom