Removing tar from paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soley

Car
cls 320 cdi
My car has picked up 1000's of tiny tar spots up both sides over the winter,whats the best way of removing them without damaging the paintwork

I've used proprietary tar removers in the past, but based on advice in another thread here I used detailing clay to do my W204 and must say that I was astonished by the result. So, detailing clay would be my recommendation :thumb:

Bilt Hamber detailing clay (ordinary, not the soft version) plus water spray - 1/4 of what you get is enough to do the entire car. After you've done the entire car body, use the clay on your alloys then bin it!

After clay you will need to wax the car thoroughly, as the clay will strip all protection off the paintwork - so this is also an opportunity (should you so desire) to go one step further to correct any small scratches, swirl marks etc using a suitable paint correction product before polishing then waxing.

If you decide it's worth the extra effort, I'd recommend working on one panel at a time - give the car a good wash and dry, then clay one panel, follow with paint correction, polish then wax. Look at the results on that one panel to decide if it's worth the extra effort of correcting the rest of the car! If you don't think it's worth the effort, just polish then wax!

Yep - tar remover first (eg Tardis) and then clay to remove anything else that doesn't come off with that (tar or non-tar based).

Followed by a decent polish and wax afterwards :cool:

Baby oil or WD40.... even margarine.

My car has picked up 1000's of tiny tar spots up both sides over the winter,whats the best way of removing them without damaging the paintwork

AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover will disolve the tar spots and is available from halfrauds. Wouldn't recommend clay for removing tar as you will increase the risk of marring the paint. Put the tar remover into a spray bottle for best results. Rinse well after.
£5-6 for 325ml

Tardis is availble from Autosmart and about £15 for 5 litres, does the same job as the autoglym stuff but better rated and a lot cheaper. Only available via Autosmart or 1 or 2 online detailing stores selling it for £20.

Last edited:
I take it that using white spirit as recommended by a friend of mine. It works well as his paintwork is tar free but what are the long term effects?

WD40 works fine, the car world is in danger of descending into the cosmetics one with lots of bizaare claims and grossly overpriced potions and lotions claiming miracle cures, soon it will be boswelox and pro- retinol overnight creams for your car.
I'll have my dinner later sweetheart, I'm going to put an overnight cucumber cream on the headlamps, optrex night lotion on the windows, rejuvaderm on the tyres and an anti-ageing lift on the body work..... Humbug!!

When we were kids and splattered in the tar on the roads our mothers used to use butter to get it off us and our clothes before belting us....:D

So the trick is to use butter, and then send the car to the garage without any supper...:rock:

lol thanks for your reply s any humour

When we were kids and splattered in the tar on the roads our mothers used to use butter to get it off us and our clothes before belting us....:D
I didn't know we were related? :dk: :D

"really?"

Yup! I often do welding repairs at work,and after welding,you tend to paint the area witha tar based uderseal.You can scrub your hands for hours with soap,swarfega or whatever and all you get are sore tarry hands. A quick spray of WD 40 rub hands together then wash normally and you have a pair of tar-less, oil stained mechanics hands left! I even clean the paintbrushes with WD40. Baby oil does the same but makes you smell wrong if you are a mechanic.. Try it, what have you got to lose. It certainly won't harm your paintwork.. while your'e at it, put baby oil on your black trim and rubbers.. as good as Bumper care.
Half the crap you can buy for cars is a blatant rip off... I use washing up liquid,autoglym polish (because it wipes off easy) for shine and the old hard Simonz wax for a sealant-the yellow solid stuff in a tin. Shine is all about light refraction.. the only way to get perfect light refraction is to have a mirror smooth surface..like, erm... a mirror. later Merc paintwork is terrible for this, very orange peely.. have a look at some Toyota's etc. Their paintwork is factory glass smooth.

Shoot me down if you like valeter types... I still got a shiny car,and more money to spend on fags and Guinness!

Last edited:
Sorry Iv'e weakened, I'm having mine Botoxed, lasered round the arches and some oxygen therapy for the engine....oh.. er hang on that that last one has a ring of sense about it.

"really?"

Yup! I often do welding repairs at work,and after welding,you tend to paint the area witha tar based uderseal.You can scrub your hands for hours with soap,swarfega or whatever and all you get are sore tarry hands. A quick spray of WD 40 rub hands together then wash normally and you have a pair of tar-less, oil stained mechanics hands left! I even clean the paintbrushes with WD40. Baby oil does the same but makes you smell wrong if you are a mechanic.. Try it, what have you got to lose. It certainly won't harm your paintwork.. while your'e at it, put baby oil on your black trim and rubbers.. as good as Bumper care.
Half the crap you can buy for cars is a blatant rip off... I use washing up liquid,autoglym polish (because it wipes off easy) for shine and the old hard Simonz wax for a sealant-the yellow solid stuff in a tin. Shine is all about light refraction.. the only way to get perfect light refraction is to have a mirror smooth surface..like, erm... a mirror. later Merc paintwork is terrible for this, very orange peely.. have a look at some Toyota's etc. Their paintwork is factory glass smooth.

Shoot me down if you like valeter types... I still got a shiny car,and more money to spend on fags and Guinness!

Since you mention baby oil on black trim, groundnut oil and peanut butter work really well to. :thumb:

All sounds good, but washing up liquid is harsh stuff for car cleaning as it constains salts and is an abrasive detergant, not sure I'd want to wash my car with it salts... Much better off buying a dedicated car shampoo which is designed for cleaning cars like Autoglym, Meguairs, Duragloss etc...

Your paint will thank you for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom