removing the limiter on SL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
Is there any way to do this?, I'm not really after a remap as I don't want more power particularly just want the limiter taken off as I'm going to Germany soon and would like to see what it can do.

Most tuning places will do this but still charge the same as a remap, I am in exactly the same position, I don’t really want to mess with the original map, don’t want to pay the full amount of a remap but want the limiter removed :)

You can increase the limiter in STAR in developer mode, you effectively increase it to a number that is not achievable.

Have had some cars in the past that wont react to it in developer mode for some reason.

I can do it for you with out remapping it and it wont be near the cost of a remap either.

Good to know, I'll ask at my local MB place to see if they can do the Star trick, if not I might well be in touch. Thanks Adny and SavMan.

Your local dealer wont have developer mode on their star machine.

You will have to find a local indy to take it to for them to do.

As it happens, they not only had developer mode but also found where to change it. They did say that it didnt seem to let them enter a figure of their choosing, instead he had to select from a list. He selected 300 which is the 186mph limit due to the tyre rating. I believe this is the same option available from AMG themselves.

Anyway, they think they have changed it so all i need now is a 'privately owned' motorway to test it out. Will let you know when I know ;-)

Brabus also do a delimiter called a v box that removes the limiter , normally a couple for sale on eBay.de for €100-€150 .

As it happens, they not only had developer mode but also found where to change it. They did say that it didnt seem to let them enter a figure of their choosing, instead he had to select from a list. He selected 300 which is the 186mph limit due to the tyre rating. I believe this is the same option available from AMG themselves.

Anyway, they think they have changed it so all i need now is a 'privately owned' motorway to test it out. Will let you know when I know ;-)

Correct, AMG increased the limiter for the performance pack models and potentially other designations, the new upper speed is signified by different tyres fitted and a different tyre pressure advice sticker under the fuel
flap.

My SL55 was originally delimited and after having the SBC replaced by mercedes and much to my disappointment, the limiter was reinstated as found out in Germany last year.

Managed to test this the other day, well almost, I had to slow down just as I reached around 156mph as I didnt trust the look of the car further ahead. However im pretty sure that just before I let off the pedal the power dropped suggesting that the limiter is in fact still in place :-(

I going away on my driving trip on the 5th July so dont have time for my local garage to have another look, instead I decided to just go with a Eurocharged remap which also removes the limiter. What the hell :)

Ive had a play with developer mode on an sl55 for upping the top speed and no matter what you change it to it still tops out at 155mph.

Ive found it easier just to find it in the actual ecu programme and flash it out that way. As in the programme you can select any figure you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom