Renewal with a pending claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BaldGuy

MB Enthusiast
Car
No longer a Benz...
There is a pending court case going through and has been for the past 2 years.... the policy has always been renewed with the insurer as they are not sure if it will affect the claim....

my question is..... Can you change insurers and the claim will still proceed or do you have to stay with that insurer until the claim is finished??

Greg

WARNING I MAY BE MAKING THIS UP:

I believe that you have paid for your insurance so any claim would be dealt with irrespective of your current insurance provider.

Well, you could have sold your car couldn't you; and have nil car to insure.

The case would not come to a stop, would it.

You then go buy another car, and this time you decide to insure it with someone else.

The previous case will still continue it it's conclusion irrespective of your new car situation.

So I would have thought that at renewal time you can go and get fresh
quotes and do what you like.

I can confirm 100% that the claim will be handled by the insurer of the car at the time of the accident and that you are free to change insurers as you wish.

Changing insurers will have no effect on the outcome of the claim.

I can confirm 100% that the claim will be handled by the insurer of the car at the time of the accident and that you are free to change insurers as you wish.

Agreed.

I agree - but you may have trouble getting a decent premium from a new insurer with a claim of uncertain outcome still in progress.

Just declare the "incident" when you apply for a new policy with another company and see what they quote you. There may be a wide variation to the attitude they adopt from company to company depending on the nature of the incident and how anxious they are for your business. Everything till that point is speculation. The incident will be on record with the Insurance Bureau anyway.

I had a claim against a coach driving me off the road, I changed insurers twice whilst that claim was ongoing. Both new companies were fine about it when I explained the situation and as soon as I mentioned that I had 3 witnesses siding with me, they were happy to continue with no increase to the quotes.

As always with insurance, be up front and see what they say, I think you'll be fine.

+1 - dont forget to tell any prospective insurer - there is a common database that all insurers share - no hiding place - if you don't declare the claim your new insurance will be invalid

I've been through this recently as I wrote off our 4x4 3 days before renewal. (I had took out policy with new company).
I cancelled this as I no longer had this vehicle.
When I bought the new 4x4 I declared an outstanding claim that was still active and not resolved.
It didn't make much difference.
I did have a 'mare buyin the new merc as I was £171 a year for the Z4 2.3i and they wanted £40 extra for remaining 6 months on the new car. (which was cool) but I was keeping the Z4 for a month. Insurance for one month, £141 :wallbash::wallbash:
I did separate quote for the SLK for a year declaring last months write off and I came in at £330 fo the year, I'm happy with that TBH:thumb:

Pending claim on renewal is generally nasty price hike in my experience.

The Mazda that I wrote off was £250 a year the Honda CRV I bough to replace it was £210 declaring pending claim the same week.
I bought the new car an the cheque came in 3 days later for the write off.

As has already been said - There is no problem about moving to a different insurer while the claim is still going through. The claim was a result of that particular years policy.

Just remember to contact your new insurer when the claim is finally closed, especially if your no claims bonus has been reduced because of the claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom