reparing plastic shower tray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

in my caravan i have a plastic shower tray that is a compilcated shape - it has minor cracks in it.

due to the shape only a genuine new OEM part will fit. At over £200.

My question is does anyone know a company or tricks to fix a plastic shower tray..? ideally from underneath.

TIA.

derek

I assume it's ABS ... put "abs plastic repair" into Google and you'll get some ideas.

Problem is that unlike car bumpers etc. they are very thin mouldings, which I suspect will be very difficult to do a sound repair on.

Think you might need to bite the bullet and replace.

You could use it as a mould from which to make a whole new fibreglass tray.

More work, but will be stronger than a patch repair - the bits that don't need fixing now will become the weak areas after localised repairs.

thanks - i may investigate the idea of getting a new one made by a GRP specialsit by using the old one as a mould.

i also need a washroom sink in the same material so this may be my cheapest option. The washroom sink is too far gone for a good repair as the previous owners have messed it right up.

You'd need to make a mould from the old tray, then a GRP tray using that. Excellent long term solution, but likely to be more expensive than a new ABS tray?

Must admit I hate ABS ... one of the reasons for picking my current caravan was the GRP front and rear panels, and GRP-skinned sides.

There is a product called "Aquasure" which is available from both surf/fishing shops and shops that sell fish tanks etc. Its intended for sealing wet suits and/or fish tanks and therefore is designed for permanant exposure to water. It is a clear silicone gel in a squeezy tube and costs about £5. Keep in the freezer once opened. This is about your best bet I would guess.

http://www.surf-wax.co.uk/acatalog/aquasure-glue.html

Last edited:
You'll never fix it properly , drive it over a cliff and have done with it .... ;)

i've emailed a plastic moulding company for a ball park quote.....

i'd rather keep the caravan!!

If it's a static caravan, try Arleigh International www.arleigh.co.uk - that's where we buy spares from.

If it's a tourer - sorry, can't help.

the major home builders use a co called the plastic surgeon to repair every thing from a shower tray to a worktop when damaged on site ...all our sites in scotland use them i think prob £40 ish ...

Our domestic shower tray cracked a while back (about 4in long), whilst geting hold of a proper stone replacement I repaired with a generous application of silicone sealant into the crack, smoothed out slightly proud and 5mm overlap either side on top.

Despite the tray flexing quite a lot this held - I was expecting it to tear or come away from the plastic, but it was elasitc enough to flex with the crack, quite impressive.

Our domestic shower tray cracked a while back (about 4in long), whilst geting hold of a proper stone replacement I repaired with a generous application of silicone sealant into the crack, smoothed out slightly proud and 5mm overlap either side on top.

Despite the tray flexing quite a lot this held - I was expecting it to tear or come away from the plastic, but it was elasitc enough to flex with the crack, quite impressive.

It's amazing what you can do with duct tape too - for a quick fix.....

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom