Replacement Engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex Knight

Car
200 CLK
You guys have been brilliant for advice so thought I would ask this one here too and hope thats ok.

My son has our old 318i 2.0L "03" reg BMW that I need to get a reconditioned engine for/fitted. Are there any recommendations please?
Car has been in the family from nearly new so dont want to get rid. All be it I prefer my CLK and wifes A class :)

Many thanks

N42 engine... Rubbish, absolute rubbish. Not that MB made a better 4 pot petrol at the time.

Have you enquired with Crewe engines?

Not asked anywhere at the moment. You guys have great advice here so will look them out. Im in London/Essex area so SE would be better if possible

Another vote for Crewe the only people we ever used and never had a problem not cheap but you get what you pay for

They did mess up one engine once for me.

BlackC55 said:
They did mess up one engine once for me.

Only issue we really had was delivery which delayed us getting a car back to the customer and that was only once and I suppose it's better to wait than rush them and get a problem

What's the problem with the engine? I think I'd get one from a breaker and throw that in. It's not a big engine

Have a look on the bmw5.co.uk and see if anyone has an engine. There are quite a few members who break cars and I would think a half-decent 2-litre engine wouldn't be too hard to find

Nick Froome

Hi Nick. Its for my son so worried that if I buy a lump from a breakers, six months down the line I could be back where I started with his car. Im only guessing but a reconditioned engine will be around £900 fitted with a warranty of some sort or am I way off the mark?

A reasonable second hand lump will cost around £350-£500 from a breaker with some sort of guarantee. Cheaper than that and you're normally just taking your chances.

Fitting can easily be £500+

Wild stab in the dark here but a recon engine, supplied and fitted could be double your estimate.

Last edited:
Spoke with Crewe, what a great company, but unlikely to be lower £1k estimate (plus transport) More likely £2k-£4k. Locally, as per V12's thoughts around £1500+ for supplied fitted recon. So looks like I will be going for the second hand lump route and have it fitted. Many thanks for all usual sound/great advice :)

I just want to amend my comment about them messing up an engine. It wasn't Crewe engines fault as such. It was a supplier they use supplied an incorrect part that was fitted to an engine.

Crewe Engines for me too. They have done a Ford 2.0 OHC (Pinto) for me, which they took out to 2.1 - beautifully honed - and balanced the pistons, rods, crank and flywheel. It was so smooth and delivered the power more than I expected.
When I start doing things to the old C43, they'll be getting my business for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom