replacement windscreen OEM or Aftermarket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dear Grumpoldgit ,or may i call you GOG?
I probably did not explain myself fully.I would assume MB would constantly improve products as they go along but each new formulation or improvment for anything will need new testing to ensure conformity. The issue of 2008 build against new formulations would (one hopes) have been taken into account when dealing with replacements such as parts damaged in accidents or glass breakages.So the cross-linking polymer adhesives would hold should an incident occur. However when you look at the number of recalls for the whole of the automotive industry you do wonder at times. I can recall getting one of the very first XJ40's back in 1986 (my how times fly when your having fun!) within 30 minutes of delivery and about 20 miles later the brakes failed! It took Jaguar nearly 12 months to issue an "urgent" recall regarding this particular problem. By that time I was well into my 2nd almost 3rd jag as the cars were total rubbish and I was kicking up such a fuss they kept replacing them. Switched to Volvo's after that. The MB windscreen should be replaced tomorrow by the MB dealers and you are correct Jaymanek ,having spoken to the MB dealer they use an outside contracting company that has the contract for all their particular MB dealers within that particular group.After getting all the corect MB parts in from MB stores themselves so its just the labour and expertise the contracted company bring.
Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice and explanations in this scintilating and mind numbing exercise of OEM v A/M and I hope I have not bored the pants of to many MB forum members .......well it kept me off the streets for a few hours and gave me some thought provoking correspondence Cheers.

Hi deiselman slightly difficult to emulate a large stone or rock or debris at a combined speed in excess of 70MPH so it wont stack up. Youtube is a lot safer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfmPz19Z6ds
or this one called pole through windscreen Pole Through Windscreen - YouTube

with regards the MB OEM part (logo) I have taken a look at the guarantee and yes if a non MB part is fitted it invalidates the warranty I also took a a 3year service agreement and again using non MB parts also invalidates this agreement. I re-iterate it ai'nt a case of badge snobbery its a very strong case of traceability,reliability and safety issues here.

So an MB "marked" screen will withstand an assault another wont?

Rubbish.

You can throw a stone at 70 mph, so could test that.

As for the warranty being invalidated by fitting none standard parts, what warranty are you looking for on the replacement windscreen?

Your posts read very much like you are trying to justify having a MB logo on the screen.

With respect, I'm surprised that MB have been able to source a 4 year old screen, or even one made with exactly the same materials as in 2008. Surely by now they would have improved just a little, or is that a no no? :dk:

The glass and plastic laminate won't have changed, but I hope thy don't use a tube of bonding adhesive from 2008, it will have gone off.

Since the bonding agent is the only item that may have been updated, how will the O/p know what agent they have used and if it is EXACTLY the same make-up as the original 2008 agent?

in regards to your reply to GOG the O/p wont have to know what agent to use as MB will issue it from stores against the glass p/nos as well as the chassis nos which will be known as its being fitted at the MB dealership.

With regards throwing rocks at 70mph (calibrated against what I wonder!) Have you not thought that I may not have the upper body strength and cannot throw that fast or that I may be disabled and have no strength in my arms. I joined this forum for help in getting to grips, with a problem that I percieved, as a serious problem. I had no idea I would be challenged by someone who had a very closed world view. Deiselman please take a more holistic and open approach when dealing with people. Not all have the same ideas nor views on the world as you. I get the feeling that this is not the forum that I thought it would be.

My considered opinion is that you are fretting over nothing. No laminated windscreen is going to allow stones to penetrate while driving and an MB screen will be no stronger than any other one provided.

I have not said nor thought it would be stronger what I have asked for from the insurance company was a replacement MB sourced and fitted w/s. The reasons being.
1. I have just bought the vehicle within the last 5 weeks and have with it a 12 months used MB dealership warranty that clearly states MB parts to be fitted by an MB garage.
2. I also purchased an MB service plan for a three year duration which again clearly states MB parts and labour to be fitted.
3. And this is the real crux of the matter. When insuring and recieving the Insurance companies 32 page T&C booklet at no time did it state that non OEM w/s would be the replacement.
Its only when I challenged this do they say "It's on their website" but NOT in their booklet of T&C.
4. Having time on my hands as no longer working fulltime and starting to take things easy I delve into this a little deeper and find their discrepancy that by law they are meant to supply their full T&C's in print not an abridged version.
5. Having argued until I am blue in the face and gotten nowhere I recieve a letter absolving themselves of the matter any further.
6. Unbeknown to the insurance company I had lodged an official complaint with FSA and the FSO as well as speaking to the OFT. Due to their non-compliance of issuing full T&C's.
7. FSA contact the insurance company who then phone me the same morning and offer me various inducements to drop my complaint against them.
8. My MB windscreen is being fitted at an MB dealership tomorrow.
9 once fitted and I recieve recompense from the insurance co. I will write to the FSA and say that my complaint against the insurance company can now be set aside.
10. I am now satisfied that the w/s in my MB is one from a batch that would have been tested against at least EN ISO safety and durability standards and that what is etched into the windscreen is a sure guarantee that this has occured.

As an aside when in the OEM market back in the 90's we made for various automotive companies and car manufactuers . We made 3 component parts that went into a larger unit that an Irish company supplied directly to MB. We had quality and traceability audits from MB for 2 whole days 3 of them came over and it was at our expense. Their report made certain recommendations that all the other audits from all the other companies both aerospace as well as automotive had not spotted. So knowing a little how they work I have peace of mind in knowing that I am protecting myself and family to the best of my capability when we get in the car. Once again Deiselman thanks again for a spirited exchange but I think I have had enough to last me a lunchtime.

I have not said nor thought it would be stronger what I have asked for from the insurance company was a replacement MB sourced and fitted w/s. The reasons being.
1. I have just bought the vehicle within the last 5 weeks and have with it a 12 months used MB dealership warranty that clearly states MB parts to be fitted by an MB garage.
2. I also purchased an MB service plan for a three year duration which again clearly states MB parts and labour to be fitted.
3. And this is the real crux of the matter. When insuring and recieving the Insurance companies 32 page T&C booklet at no time did it state that non OEM w/s would be the replacement.
Its only when I challenged this do they say "It's on their website" but NOT in their booklet of T&C.

4. Having time on my hands as no longer working fulltime and starting to take things easy I delve into this a little deeper and find their discrepancy that by law they are meant to supply their full T&C's in print not an abridged version.
5. Having argued until I am blue in the face and gotten nowhere I recieve a letter absolving themselves of the matter any further.
6. Unbeknown to the insurance company I had lodged an official complaint with FSA and the FSOas well as speaking to the OFT. Due to their non-compliance of issuing full T&C's.
7. FSA contact the insurance company who then phone me the same morning and offer me various inducements to drop my complaint against them.
9 once fitted and I recieve recompense from the insurance co. I will write to the FSA and say that my complaint against the insurance company can now be set aside.
10. I am now satisfied that the w/s in my MB is one from a batch that would have been tested against at least EN ISO safety and durability standards and that what is etched into the windscreen is a sure guarantee that this has occured.

The smokescreen has cleared, we got there at last...;)

6. Unbeknown to the insurance company I had lodged an official complaint with FSA and the FSO as well as speaking to the OFT. Due to their non-compliance of issuing full T&C's.

As an aside when in the OEM market back in the 90's we made for various automotive companies and car manufactuers . We made 3 component parts that went into a larger unit that an Irish company supplied directly to MB. We had quality and traceability audits from MB for 2 whole days 3 of them came over and it was at our expense. Their report made certain recommendations that all the other audits from all the other companies both aerospace as well as automotive had not spotted. So knowing a little how they work I have peace of mind in knowing that I am protecting myself and family to the best of my capability when we get in the car. Once again Deiselman thanks again for a spirited exchange but I think I have had enough to last me a lunchtime.

Well done I say.

There have been multiple problems posted on the forums regarding poor results after windscreen replacements.

Leaks and rust in the A pillar are some.

If the car is a keeper it is vital that the A pillar integrity is kept intact.

Wow...

My windscreen was shot out last week, and I had a new OEM fitted as the insurance company wont pay for the dealer part. However the only difference between OEM and original is the Merc stamp. I spoke with a Pilkington rep who confirmed the glass is run from the same production line, they even do the manufacture stamp. (Pilkington - First in Glass)

What did shock me was how brittle thee old glue was, It took no time to remove the old screen and the glue just peeled away from the body work. Im glad the new screen went in and my car is usable. now just have to find the nobber who shot a whole in it ......

Last edited:
My windscreen was shot out last week, and I had a new OEM fitted as the insurance company wont pay for the dealer part. However the only difference between OEM and original is the Merc stamp. I spoke with a Pilkington rep who confirmed the glass is run from the same production line, they even do the manufacture stamp.

You obviously haven't just retired.

I was driving along to day on a 7 mile trip and heard a bang and collected a chip. On the return journey I got two more off a skip lorry shedding dirt.

Sadly Im not retired! but i am on long term sick after a scare of a relapse of Hodgkins.

I started to look at posts about glass as I was a bit concerned "chocolate" parts may be inferior. My car was the last thing my father gave to me before he died, I try when possible to keep it as original as possible. I couldn't bare any more Jeremy kile so i started to check out the glass questions

Sadly Im not retired! but i am on long term sick after a scare of a relapse of Hodgkins.

Has it turned out to be just a scare?

err unknown, They have confirmed sarcoidosis but as yet no proof the hodgkins is back. mind you if it is back then i just have to deal with it i guess!!!!!

Yep Just a scare thank god.... But confirmation of Sarcoidosis can live with that i guess :)

Apologies for reviving old thread but Aviva covers all windows in the car. With National windscreen it is £75 excess for dealership windows which you have to request. You must have fully comp. I am getting my passenger window replaced, if its good job i will probably do driver window for fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom