Replacing an SLK320 (AMG body) front grill... Argh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pTang

Hi all,

Hope someone has some advice.

My SLK320 is now 10 years old and the front grill was chipped and very sorry looking. I have a brand new one from MB spares and the sunny weather today got me into gear.

It looks a simple enough job - open bonnet, remove 8 screws and then slide the grill's bottom edge away from the top edge of the bumper.

The screws were no trouble (I'm good with a 8mm spanner). But the bottom lip just won't come off the top edge of the bumper and that edge is inside by the horns.

Looking at the new one (it's identical), the bottom of the grill is a recessed lip that fits over the top and bottom of the edge of the bumper. But there's no release clips that I can see (on the new) or feel (on the current one).

A little manual persuasion didn't work either - that edge just doesn't want to come off - I don't want to get any more enthusiastic in case I damage the bumper.

Has anyone else changed this themselves - if so how tight a fit is that bottom edge of the grill. Did MB use some form of glue/packing to ensure a fit?

Thanks in advance.

'tang.

Can you run a taped up screwdriver or similar between the grill and bumper whilst persuading the top of the grill off ?

Might be able to do that - hopefully it would be enough just to loosen the grip along the edge. I'll give it a try and let you know the result!

Hope it helps :) Depending on the size of the gap you could wrap a cloth round it rather than taping it up, or a bit of foam if available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom