Replacing Drop Links W209 CLK 270

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy67

Car
CLK 270 CDI Avantgarde
Advice Need to replace these drop links on this car, got to say i have never had the car on axle stands before, so much of a novice on doing this.

Started to do this work today i brought the links from euro carparts and got the Lemforder make for this car and a 16mm and 7 mm spanners.

I put wheels chocks at rear and jacked it up, and put the axle stand under one of the suspension arms as in photo i did have it on the other Bigger arm at some point,, and jacked the other side of the ground. My question is two fold is the axle stand on a suitable place to do this work as I know i have to release tension on the suspension (roll bar ) to get the link arm to fit in easier.

my other question is in the last two photo,, with o/s wheel off i can see a part that is broken and don't know what it is. bit of a half moon shaped item with a swinging arm on it and a electronic plug fitted too it, want of a better word...

20150524_113356.jpg

20150524_113324.jpg

20150524_113339.jpg

Didnt get the work done today as the arm that's fitted seem to want a 17mm and 8 mm spanner,, and the new parts are 16 and 7 mm.

cheers for looking

Before you do anything get yourself a decent pair of axle stands!

A screwdriver is not designed to take that load and the way you have it fixed is dangerous. When I changed drop links on a Saab I also supported the ARB to prevent it dropping and twisting.

Does your car have Xenon lights? If so the arm and plug may be part of the self levelling system.

Last edited:
Thanks DSM for the advice i will take note,, so if i placed a decent pair of stands on the arm in photo and the roll bar all should be good.

Raise both sides of the car and place axle stands as you had them, if you raise one side at a time you will twist the ARB, do not forget to fully apply the parking brake and chock the rear wheels before jacking, there should be a wheel chock in your car tool kit.

Sometimes the ARB will drop slightly when the drop links are off, a trolley or bottle jack is helpful to realign things for fitting the new links.

Thanks DSM for your advice

A bottle jack and a piece of wood aids refitting ARB drop links (jack the ARB arm up to help hole alignment). Also whilst your at it replace the ARB rubber bushes in the alu brackets(cheap..£less than a tenner a pair) and de-rust and re-paint the ARB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom