Retrofitting headlamp self leveling on a W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harley Man

Car
2 x CLK W208 ragtop, C220 estate, and loads of motorbikes
I now have all the parts to fit HID headlamps and the correct OEM self leveling to my W208, I have fitted the rear level sensor and the holes were there pre drilled, when I got to the front I was unable to locate any pre drilled holes, does anyone know if they are on all cars when they are made but hidden under the paint, or do I need to work out where to put them and drill some holes? If so is there a template/dimensions listed somewhere? I also need to know which hole in the 38 pin plug the pin to connect to Star goes for the HID ECU?

Thanks

Dave

On a R129 the level sensor fits to the anti roll bar.. the wiring comes down the inner fender and is just clipped to it...

Clk will be similar.

Under the bonnet the bolt heads and wiring are under the coolant header tank on a Clk 320 with the potentiometer above the spring perch. The other end anchors to the the top wishbone.

Is your header tank mounted on the front of the drivers side suspension turret? If you remove it you may find the holes pre-drilled. From memory the potentiometer bracket has studs about 5 or 6 mm diameter that come through the inner wing with nuts on the inside, I'm pretty sure the tank has to come out for access.

Hi,
You should have two holes on the leading edge of the upper wishbone on the O/S of the car, I would be very surprised if you have the hole in the inner wing, which would be located behind the header tank, though if you had the hole in the boot floor then you might have.
I have the WIS installation instructions somewhere for a 202 c class, and there are measurements on exactly where the holes are meant to be. Incidentally the Xenon's have nothing to do with the diagnostic connector, it is the levelling system which has the ECU, and requires access to diagnostic socket so the system can be calibrated, I think it is Pin 35 from memory.
Have you got the OEM loom for the levelling? and know what other connections in the car you need to make? as there are 4 or five from memory one power from a specific part of the fuse box/fuse number, and earth connection, a speed sense wire which is taken from the CAN IIRC.
Running in the loom is an absolute bitch to do properly as you have to take all the control units out of the case under the bonnet and then run part of the loom across the back of the engine behind the firewall to the drivers side headlight and the levelling sensor, you have to disassemble quite a lot of the interior to actually run it in the car.
This retro fit has rarely been completed as people see that its easier just to blind oncoming drivers, good luck to you,

Last edited:
Andy thanks for this useful info, I have all the correct parts except for the bracket which goes on the rear wishbone, which is no longer available so will have to make that. I have just taken my rad header tank out and there only appears to be one hole which is about 6mm. Looks like I need to find a copy of the WIS information with the drilling location details. I wont be put off by having to remove the interior I helped a friend reshell a jag XJC once so this will be easy compaired to that :crazy:. If anything is retrofitted it needs to be done properly in my view.

I take you are using 2nd hand parts? The front potentiometer alone was about £130 IIRC so would end up as an expensive job buying everything new.

I have second hand level sensors front and rear, second hand lights, headlamp washer parts and level ecu, new looms and washer switch. the only thing I still need is a 4 hole switch panel / heater surround or spend some time on my milling machine and hope I don't chip the wood veneer.

Hi,
I have the 202 retro instructions somewhere and as the 208 is effectively a 202, same inner wings, suspension, chassis etc. I,ll try to find them for you.

Andy,

Thanks for the offer It would be very useful if you could find the retrofitting instructions as I cannot find anyone locally who has a w202 or W208 I can take measurements off for the location of the front sensor fixing holes.

Dave

Andy,

Thanks for the offer It would be very useful if you could find the retrofitting instructions as I cannot find anyone locally who has a w202 or W208 I can take measurements off for the location of the front sensor fixing holes.

Dave

Drop me a PM I have found all the info you were looking for.

Andy many thanks for the info, just what I needed fitting will commence at the weekend :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom