Rev Counter Hunting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo Cop

Car
W212 E200 CDI AG Auto Saloon /S212 E250CDI Sport Estate
Hello all,

I’m experiencing a slight rev counter ‘flutter’ at idle (2012 E250CDI) engine is idling completely smoothly though. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,

Rob ....

DPF regen possibly.

How long has it been happening?

Thanks for the reply ....

I've just got the car so I can't say how long it's been happening. The car drives perfectly otherwise. Could it possibly be a vacuum leak ?

FWIW I used to notice a slight, very low frequency, flutter to the tacho needle on my W212 E350CDI. The engine idled evenly, so I put it down to an instrument characteristic rather than anything to do with the engine.

Thanks for the reply Phil,

Full service being done on it tomorrow and I'll have it checked out. I'll post any findings.

Thanks again guys,

Rob ...

UPDATE

Diagnostics showed no faults at all (thankfully) so I guess it's some sort of electrical anomaly . If anyone has any ideas about this please feel free to comment.

Thanks,

Rob ...

I used to have something similar in my C320 cdi, engine was smooth so as above just put down to a quirk of the car.

Thanks for the reply Kit17 ... I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops ..

Cheers guys,

Rob ...

Thanks for the reply Kit17 ... I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops ..

Cheers guys,

Rob ...
No problem, just to add, it did this from when I bought it at 18 months old and it never got any worse in 6 years and 80,000 miles.

Thanks again Kit17,

I've an 800 mile drive this weekend so I'll see if there's any change (although I don't expect to see one) ...

On another note, I hear a slight metallic 'click' as the gearbox engages drive or reverse. I'm assuming this is normal with the 7 G tronic box? (It's had a fluid and filter change 7K miles ago and runs smoothly) ..

Many thanks,

Rob ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom