Review of C63 Headers - Moments After Installation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenSJason

Car
C63 Supercharged
I finally went through with installing IPE Headers with Sports Cats on my C63 after a few years of stock ownership. I'm totally in tune with the car and a thirst developed for more so I figured "why not".

So, the headline you are probably expecting is OMG, must-have mod but, what I'd say to you is this... consider it long and hard.
Why? It is really, so ridiculously, heart attack inducing LOUD. Think of that beautiful stock sound that you have now, well, amplify that by x68 and ask yourself what you want.

I added headers for two reasons. One, and the most prominent of reasons, was to extract the performance. Second was that after a few years I'd gotten used to the sound, and I wanted a bit more. So I did my research and found that IPE amongst a couple of other easily available brands in the U.K were among the best, were available with Cats and required no modification of any other component.
I watched countless minutes of Youtube videos of the setup I was intending, Headers onto stock resonator/mufflers and it seemed to be what I wanted. I then took to forums and asked opinions of those with the setup and most came back to tell me that it was about the right balance between stock and insanity. I even met with one guy and his sounded like what I was after.

Well, here I am, the owner of a C63 with catted long tube Headers fitted for approx 30miles, fixed to the stock AMG rear system incl resonator. What can I say other than it really is so god damn loud, more like a weapon of war than a motor vehicle. It is not far off about as raw as a NASCAR, a street drag racer, all those straight piped LS engined cars you hear in The States. It is NOT for the feint hearted.

I don't know what I was expecting, so I have mixed feelings. On one hand I love it but on the other, it's embarrassing. I then think back to the comments that people made to me about it sounding quieter than I perceive it so, I'm secretly hoping that as the miles rack up that it'll tone down with the carbon build-up like perhaps theirs have, but perhaps I'm being optimistic. I then think to the chap I met up with and the sound of his car, and his was definitely quieter and more refined so, perhaps there is hope.

I remember straight piping my previous N54 BMW and at the beginning that sounded disgusting but, after a few weeks it sounded absolutely beautiful.

I'm writing this to counteract some of the hype around Headers as it's all about the positives on the web and never the negatives. Yes, they do help performance, I mean it certainly twitches more now and the speedo is further round than it used to be in the same places BUT, it is a hell of a trade in terms of sound.
It in no way sounds bad, it sounds epic and just like an AMG but it is just so loud. The balance really is a new rear exhaust section I imagine, such as IPE and I'd strongly advise anyone to consider that also at this stage. If it wasn't for both that a second Cat delete does nothing for performance, and that it forces you to cut your OE system up, that would probably be the sweet spot.

Anyone in the West Sussex area considering this mod is welcome to meet me and my megaphone of a car should they wish to sample what can only be assumed as akin to the sounds heard in Hell.

I write this as I've just installed them, but I'll persevere and try to get used it or allow it time to bed in. I'll keep this post updated with my final verdict over coming weeks.

This said, I'm off out for a drive with the windows down :D.

Thank Christ it's not a daily driver and that I live in the countryside.

On a freezing cold morning the first time startup must be the equivalent of being underneath the Hiroshima bomb. :crazy:

They are really loud!! I think stock sounds perfect from outside the car.

this is why its best to have the valved rear boxes to close them if needed for a near stock sound

IMO the C63 with a IPE system and or similar sounds crap. It barely sounds like a V8 anymore its far too loud.

Nicest noise must be one with secondary cat delete.

It is a fine balance for sure - we want loud but not embarrassing loud. As you said, this was a review straight after fitting and I expect you will either get used to it or prefer it after some time (hopefully!) and thanks also for the honest review.

I do think that the stock car does need more noise and I was happy with the secondary cat delete I had done on mine. Regarding performance I did dynos before and after my sec cat delete and gained about 10hp.

Glad you joined the club.

You will get used to it.
Each to their own. To me, IPE headers with sport cats to OEM resonator and mufflers is the best balance between more power n retaining V8 sound. BUT louder as you found out.

There will be some days you will feel its too loud. But those days will be few n far between.
In sports + mode, be prepared for more trips to Shell.
The sound actually gets better as the headers is used.

Valvetronic backboxes will allow you to tone down the sound when closed. But when opened fully, it becomes raspy and you lose the characteristic signature V8 rumble n roar.

Like i said, each to their own and thats why the world of modding is so diverse.

Get the valved back boxes then you will have the best of both worlds.

I am with you headers and stock exhaust is too loud.

I borrowed Acids C63 with stock exhaust and headers and I used to get looks of disgust from people when starting it......basically because they pretty much s**t themselves if they were behind the car.

As Sirius9 says, the sound will change as the headers and tubes bed in but the volume remains but perhaps a little less brash.

On a freezing cold morning the first time startup must be the equivalent of being underneath the Hiroshima bomb. :crazy:

I'm yet to start it cold. I'm actually scared.

Nice honest review, the c63 sounds best left untouched.

They are really loud!! I think stock sounds perfect from outside the car.

It is a very sweet sound. But to get it you realise with headers just how little AMG silenced it to compensate for four massive Cats.

this is why its best to have the valved rear boxes to close them if needed for a near stock sound

IMO the C63 with a IPE system and or similar sounds crap. It barely sounds like a V8 anymore its far too loud.

Nicest noise must be one with secondary cat delete.

Get the valved back boxes then you will have the best of both worlds.

I am with you headers and stock exhaust is too loud.

I borrowed Acids C63 with stock exhaust and headers and I used to get looks of disgust from people when starting it......basically because they pretty much s**t themselves if they were behind the car.

I am going to give it a few weeks but, a valved rear section is likely the way I'll go however, I like the sound of FI over IPE as they say you have 6way valve control rather than either fully open or fully closed. I imagine I'd run with the valves a 1/4 open.

It is a fine balance for sure - we want loud but not embarrassing loud. As you said, this was a review straight after fitting and I expect you will either get used to it or prefer it after some time (hopefully!) and thanks also for the honest review.

I do think that the stock car does need more noise and I was happy with the secondary cat delete I had done on mine. Regarding performance I did dynos before and after my sec cat delete and gained about 10hp.

Thanks! I thought it was about time for someone to say just what headers are like as all you really ever see is praise, and tastes/tolerances are different for everyone.

What I can say is that when cruising it is super quiet, just like stock, same as idle. It won't get unnessary looks in town unless you wind it past 3k. I had a Porsche Macan S pull alongside me at some lights yesterday and I knew what was coming. So, we pulled away with him speed matching me, I was nice and gentle just clicking up in Manual until 3rd, at which point he wanted it and floored it. I had no intention of wringing out the car but I did accelerate. The car made so much noise that he instantly let off and sheepishly stopped accelerating, and I crusied off into the distance without breaking any limits.
Same again with a BMW M4, which are normally driven by people laying bait for racing. He came flying up behind me, heard the damn thing and backed off never to bother me again.

Nice bump from second Cats by the way. I'm really particular about keeping my OE parts intact so I opted out of this due to the cut in the exhaust. In hindsight, small price really :D

Glad you joined the club.

You will get used to it.
Each to their own. To me, IPE headers with sport cats to OEM resonator and mufflers is the best balance between more power n retaining V8 sound. BUT louder as you found out.

There will be some days you will feel its too loud. But those days will be few n far between.
In sports + mode, be prepared for more trips to Shell.
The sound actually gets better as the headers is used.

Valvetronic backboxes will allow you to tone down the sound when closed. But when opened fully, it becomes raspy and you lose the characteristic signature V8 rumble n roar.

Like i said, each to their own and thats why the world of modding is so diverse.

As Sirius9 says, the sound will change as the headers and tubes bed in but the volume remains but perhaps a little less brash.

Thanks guys. This is what I wanted to hear so I'm going to stick at it for a few weeks. How many likes did you rack up before it became less insane?

Last edited:
What do you guys think about non-valved rear sections, such as Akrapovic or Supersprint? Would those do anything to tone it down? Using YouTube as a guide, they sound quieter than stock with stock headers. I suppose the risk is that They're too quiet but, at least I'd have all of the performance from headers which was my primary goal.

Get used to people filming you I went for a Big Mac the other day and he was hanging out the window encouraging his girlfriend to keep ups one could film it lol
Like you I've had many cars back out once I downshift or blip it
But you can drive "quietly" which I like and once cold start is out the car it's relatively normal my dad has a ls and has more than the required silencers to keep his down
They seem to be constantly loud but the merc I find can be 50/50 if you can drive it correctly

When I first did mine I thought it was mega loud but it's either got quieter or I've just got used to it. Even the cold start in my garage seems quieter. I do think it sounds perfect and as brunty said you can drive it quietly as long as you don't accelerate hard.
I had an Evo 9 with race headers, straight through pipe, no cat and a 5" exit......that thing was loud all the time even on tick over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys think about non-valved rear sections, such as Akrapovic or Supersprint? Would those do anything to tone it down? Using YouTube as a guide, they sound quieter than stock with stock headers. I suppose the risk is that They're too quiet but, at least I'd have all of the performance from headers which was my primary goal.

Only Akrapovic will tone it down by quite a bit. With Akrapovic, you may not like it on idling or crusing as it can be too quiet. Even more than stock. You will need to give it beans to get the roar. Plus the Akrapovic roar is DEEPER tone, way deeper than normal AMG V8 tone.

The main benefit with Akrapovic is that weight saving is HUGE!!

Supersprint is similar to stock muffler. No point.

If you really want to get valvetronic, then check our Capristo, which is what i am considering now. Its more similar to the standard AMG V8 tone compared to IPE or Akrapovic, kinda in the middle.

Let me know. Maybe we get some discount? But price is also in between Akrapovic and IPE....

Get used to people filming you I went for a Big Mac the other day and he was hanging out the window encouraging his girlfriend to keep ups one could film it lol
Like you I've had many cars back out once I downshift or blip it
But you can drive "quietly" which I like and once cold start is out the car it's relatively normal my dad has a ls and has more than the required silencers to keep his down
They seem to be constantly loud but the merc I find can be 50/50 if you can drive it correctly

Haha, as funny as that sounds it must get annoying having Barry types following you. With some more seat time you are right, you do tend to keep the naughty moments fewer, which I suppose is better for fuel and safety.

There you have it chaps, Headers save lives :D.

When I first did mine I thought it was mega loud but it's either got quieter or I've just got used to it. Even the cold start in my garage seems quieter. I do think it sounds perfect and as brunty said you can drive it quietly as long as you don't accelerate hard.
I had an Evo 9 with race headers, straight through pipe, no cat and a 5" exit......that thing was loud all the time even on tick over

I'm hoping you're right either way. I started it for the first cold start yesterday. Car in the garage with rear facing out, I opened the door fully and went to the car, laid my head on the A-pillar and thought "f's sake, here we go". I turned the car over and it was loud BUT, I was actually pleasantly surprised as it wasn't near as loud as I'd thought. The thing is loud stock, and although the DB's are higher I find the pitch a little higher and less bassy. When stock, it's a very bassy cold start and there is a lot of resonance so, although I'm not saying it's better now, it could bloody well be worse.

Idling after cold start is no different to stock at all.

My BMW was similar actually but the cold start was disgusting. When warm it was no different however, it was quite loud all the time and you could hear the turbo's whistling from the exhaust for miles.

Only Akrapovic will tone it down by quite a bit. With Akrapovic, you may not like it on idling or crusing as it can be too quiet. Even more than stock. You will need to give it beans to get the roar. Plus the Akrapovic roar is DEEPER tone, way deeper than normal AMG V8 tone.

The main benefit with Akrapovic is that weight saving is HUGE!!

Supersprint is similar to stock muffler. No point.

If you really want to get valvetronic, then check our Capristo, which is what i am considering now. Its more similar to the standard AMG V8 tone compared to IPE or Akrapovic, kinda in the middle.

Let me know. Maybe we get some discount? But price is also in between Akrapovic and IPE....

Thanks for the advice :). I found a video of the Supersprint system and I think you're right, it virtually sounds like a stock system with headers. I suppose this is why it's not popular.

I'd be interested to look into Capristo with you perhaps although when you speak price, are we talking about the Akrapovic Slip-on or the full Titanium jobby vs. the IPE? I can't imagine Capristo is cheap, not like anything on this car.

Last edited:
I was thinking of going decat for mine haha, I may have to re think if this is the case.

Any vids of warm idle, reving & drive by?

Also does anyone know if Acids supercharged C63 Saloon that he did first was just headers & also if they had sports cats? I heard that in person a few times & it was loud but still sounded good.

I'm sure acid was longtube headers no cats and he also had the centre resonator removed. So was straight up to back boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 63 has cargrafic long tube headers full decat straight through and love it but it's loud and not to everyone's taste.
Acceleration sound is orgasmic :)

I'm sure acid was longtube headers no cats and he also had the centre resonator removed. So was straight up to back boxes.

Exactly this. It was also loud on cold starts in my little garage at home. :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom