Richard the Third. The real one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
It would appear that the skeleton unearthed in a leicestershire car park is indeed that of Richard the Third or Crookback **** as he was affectionately known by his subjects. Politics was a pretty tough business back then!
BBC News - Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's

As a former English monarch when he will ultimately be reburied in Leicester Cathedral remains to be determined.

Last edited:
Stella, Stella, my kingdom for a case of Stella.

Stella, Stella my kingdom for a case of Stella, After the revelation of the finding of the remains of Richard 111 in Leicester who died after the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, I can announce that I was born on the field of the Battle of Bosworth in the Infirmary built where part of the battle was held. This battle has a personal interest (being a lover of history) to me and I suppose very few people living can make this claim. Before anyone asks I was not born in 1485.

Despite all the bad press Richard 111 actually receives he gave you the right to innocence until proved guilty, The Bail system, allowed printing for the masses which gave information, the proper system of weights and measures, Made the law of the land in English not Latin or French, and abolished the system of benevolence which stopped people buying office. (not that you would notice).

Not bad considering he only reigned for 2 years.

Perhaps not the D-ck history made him out to be. (i)

GH3382

Has my post been combined here or am I losing the plot. LOL

GH3382.

As a mediaeval historian by degree, I am equally fascinated and ambivalent. Manifestly this is one of the most important finds of recent times, the burial place of monarchs being unusually well documented, but I can't say I look forward to the circus of re-burial (please no hideous re-creation of a rite long dead as per the Mary Rose burials, presided over by clergy of a church he and they were not in communion with) and all the nonsense that will go around it all.

To the extent that his reputation and legacy is re-examined, brilliant, the Tudors were spectacularly good at blackening those who got on their wrong side (to a level that a 20th century totalitarian would approve).

According to the BBC news website: He will be re-buried in Leicester Cathedral.

A remarkable find that shows no evidence of the much feted "withered arm" but does clearly show that he did indeed have a severe spinal curvature and had suffered the injuries that were contained in contemporary records.

According to the BBC news website: He will be re-buried in Leicester Cathedral.

A remarkable find that shows no evidence of the much feted "withered arm" but does clearly show that he did indeed have a severe spinal curvature and had suffered the injuries that were contained in contemporary records.

The withered arm appears to have been invented by Shakespear. Not surprising since he was himself a tudor!

We have a thriving Richard III society in Leicester who have worked for years to dispell the many myths about a worthy King. Work is now ongoing to try and prove his innocence in the case of the princes murder in the tower of london.

Richard the Third-- The Comeback tour

The following interview all courtesy of the Daily Mash. :thumb:

THE skeleton of Richard III has vowed to re-boot the Wars of the Roses and slaughter his rivals to the throne. 'Also, I have no organs and am invincible'
The exhumed king said he was delighted to be back before pledging ‘a torrent of Lancastrian blood that will turn the mill-wheels of Preston’.
He added: “I want to check out the Leicester restaurant scene, catch up on some paperwork and then disembowel all those who would deny my claim.
“I have also ordered a horse off the internet.”
The last king of the House of York revealed that having a curved spine and a club foot is a lot easier to cope with when you are just a skeleton.
“The hunchback was mostly fat. Now it’s gone I’m very nimble. But I am still really angry, so I guess it wasn’t all about the hump.
“I’ve read a couple of articles saying that I was actually quite nice and that Shakespeare was unfair.
“He wasn’t. I am ****ed up and I am coming to get your children.”

Janet Thomson, from Stevenage, said: “Excellent. I was hoping this would activate some ancient curse that would wipe out half the country.”

Richard III added: “My friend Dan Snow tells me you are now ruled by Germans. We shall see about that.”

@ Charles Morgan. I have to say I agree with your sentiments whole heartedly.

As for the spine deformity it was side to side not front to back and could have given the impression of a humped back as it would have caused one shoulder to be higher than the other.

As for the Shakespeare Character I have no doubt that he was looking for patronage from the Tudor monarchs and their courtesans so blackening Richard 111's name would have been fine by them. And lets not lose sight that it was Henry V111, The son of Henry V11 the victor of Bosworth field that destroyed the Greyfriars Church as part of the reformation and allegedly his coffin was used as a horse trough and he was left in the ground where he was found. The grave that he has been found in was hurridly made and too small for him so not in keeping with the original burial.

GH3382

Last edited:
Richard 111 has been given the opportunity to win the final battle before he can finally rest in peace.

The Yorkshire folk are determined that his remains should be laid to rest in the York Minster instead of Leicester.

May the battle commence.....

View attachment 34250

Last edited:
To be honest I dont care where he is laid to rest despite being brought up in Leicester.

But all too often these discoveries then become the focus of organisations who want to cash in . But like I said I dont care where he goes but from todays announcements it is looking like Leicester. Is it going to be another "Scone" or Lindisfarne Gospels ?

I thought we should celebrate history and heritage not fight over it.

GH3382

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom