Ride height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JOHNO978

Car
Mercedes C180 W203 Mercedes C280 W 202
Hello again chaps,
I was wondering if anyone could give me the measurements from the wheel hub centres to the wheel arches both front and rear on a 96 c280 w202 (elegance), the reason I ask is the front is higher than the rear ...what I have is...front 400mm....rear 340mm.Im changing the ball joints..track rod ends and wheel bearings on the front...both sides so was wondering if the ride height was wrong this is the perfect time to correct it..springs and shocks ?...these I changed about 5 yrs ago and the car has not been abused in any way...I would be grateful for any advice,
Regards,
Steve.

I had the same when i bought my e320cdi w211. It turns out that when the monkey fitted new dampers at MB they never put the c clip on the damper in the right space.
If its the sample as mine then you need to remove the spring from the damper and tap the lower spring seat up to show the c clip and move it down

Hope this helps

I had the same when i bought my e320cdi w211. It turns out that when the monkey fitted new dampers at MB they never put the c clip on the damper in the right space.
If its the sample as mine then you need to remove the spring from the damper and tap the lower spring seat up to show the c clip and move it down

Hope this helps

211 and 202 are somewhat different suspension wise. ;)

Thanks fellas...I was begining to think I was in a wilderness somewhere...I still have not found the correct ride height yet...a few chaps with the same model as mine have let me take measurements...lo and behold they are all different...some by 10...20mm...and I cant seem to fathom a mean difference...keep on searching I suppose...it will be spring soon so I can take the old girl apart and start afresh...maybe...

I know that this is an old thread but I thought I would update it...Spring came so I decided to sort out the ride height once and for all..it turned into a complete rebuild of my front end whilst I was at it...and I must say it looks pretty good...pity only myself will ever seeit when Im underneath the thing..ha ha...anyhow..it turned out that a garage that I used for a short while had put the wrong springs and shocks on...I had new springs and shocks for the front..but only shocks for the rear as the springs at that time were fine (new have been fitted last year)....the clown put springs with 11 coils instead of 9 on the car...so no wonder the ride was always too high...all that is now sorted and the Old Girl drives like a dream...
Steve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom