Ride not so good!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danw666

Car
CLK W208
HI all...

not had my W208 CLK long now. I noticed that if I hit a bump or pot holes in the road the it sounds like my suspension is coming thought my bonnet! lol such a loud bang. this is coming from the front of the car. it is sat on coilovers but there only 6 months old. any ideas guys?

HI all...

not had my W208 CLK long now. I noticed that if I hit a bump or pot holes in the road the it sounds like my suspension is coming thought my bonnet! lol such a loud bang. this is coming from the front of the car. it is sat on coilovers but there only 6 months old. any ideas guys?

Just sounds like the price you pay for a stiffer less forgiving ride crashy ride lol, when I went from original 18"s to 19"s I felt it was a lot more crashy but just something you have to deal with when lower profile bigger wheels and stiffer suspension I guess.

yeah I guess. but I have had coilovers before on cars and its never been that bad

yeah I guess. but I have had coilovers before on cars and its never been that bad

Yeah so have I tell me about it lol Im convinced half of it is the weight of the car and low profile tyres, if not then maybe you got worn bushes somewhere.

Lobby your MP to spend more than pocket money repairing roads!

That's the root of the problem, not the suspension.

I don't understand your post? The W208 CLK is not designed for coilover suspension it normally has separate springs and shocks. The shock upper mount was never designed for spring loadings. There are separate spring perches for the springs on the inner wings. Post a picture of your front suspension setup

GUIDE: Changing your front shocks (W208) | Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Last edited:

Yes, but what spring rates and pressure on the shocks? - The spring rate alone can make a huge difference to how stiff the suspension feels.

It's also worth considering that if it's lowered you might have run out of suspension travel and you're hitting the bump stops.

If a modified car doesn't ride well I'd put it back to stock.

I didn't put the coilovers on, I bought the car like it. need to get it up on a ramp and see what's going I think.

Probably worth checking that they're not wound all the way down to the lowest setting; it may have looked pretty to the previous owner, but it seems like it's bordering undriveable for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom