Robust DECT phones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
We have a requirement for DECT phones.

I buy cheap ones and they last a couple of years.

Now this may not be worth doing but does anyone have experience of more robust / durable but reasonably-priced DECT phones (say with a rubber case)?

Don't need to be IP rated - purely for the riggers of constant use and a harder life...

You should be OK with any of the big brands I'd have thought. Ours are Philips and still going fine (with 3 kids involved ;)) after nearly 7 years. No rubber cases though.

Panasonic - and Siemens are recommended for longevity.

BT - very cheap build quality... does what it says on the tin...

iDect - look nice and are cheap! usage, personally no experience of them, but have seen them being used.

DSL on here forum is the man for phones...

I have the Siemens 495 as my carry-around the garden etc 'phone and it has stood up to a few modest falls on gravel and hard ground as well as having about 75 metres range from the base station. Bought it as an additional handset to a better quality base station. Having bought from the supplier in the link above and discovered they send out returns/secondhand items as new, I would not do so again from them. No rugged 'phone is totally unbreakable as I found out when I dropped the heavily-ruggedised Ericsson R250 Pro GSM on a marble floor and a tiny plastic part inside broke and killed the microphone.

Cheers folks.

I think riggers would give them an easier time than our despatch department do!

I suppose if I buy a DECT phone for £15, and it lasts two years, that Siemens Gigaset costing £60 needs to last 8 years and I wonder if they would...?

I run a set of Panasonic KX TG8524EB phones at home but again - price means they would ideally need to last longer.

:thumb:

Panasonic are well put together but they seem to bring out a new model every few months.

As a result I am always seeing Panasonic DECT phones heavily reduced in places like Tesco and Asda. Sure they may be last years model but who cares?

The problem is, the more "rugged" the handset, then the worse people will treat it...

Maybe try a few makes in parallel and see which gives you the best cost/life compromise?

With regards DECT, I still have one BT handset, dating back to when they were made by Siemens, and it is pretty indestructible. I had several newer BT handsets - 'made by BT' in China - come and go since. I am now using Panasonic and they seem pretty tough, but time will tell.

The silver has worn off the phone back to base plastic within a few months.

I think I will see if I can hunt down some old model cheaper Panasonics and see how we get on.

I don't always have to buy phones, I've donated 3 sets of old phones myself and have inherited others.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom