Rodent Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julian Lindley

Car
MB C200K
All,

I own a 3 year old MB C 200 K. The advent of a hot summer and mild Autumn has radically increased the wood mouse population within the woodland that surrounds my home. Last week I experienced a mouse attack on the plastic armoured cable that connects to the cam box sensor used among'st other things to aquire cam rotation speed information for the cars EMU. The weather at the time provided freezing nights, and it is likely that a warm cam box was just too attractive for the mouse (mice?) in question.

I know that MB provide an Anti Rodent system based most likely on ultra sound. Do any contributors know where I can obtain an MB system economically ie from the original manufacturer, or an alternative system that works and provides good value? Any information would be much appreciated. I live in West Sussex.

Regards,

Julian Lindley

Julian Lindley said:
I know that MB provide an Anti Rodent system

Do they...... well I've heard it all now, thats gotto be the best MOD yet - I want one too! :D

Have you tried the local cattery?:D

Seriously though sorry to hear of your infestation problem I have heard of a guy who covered his sensative leads/ wires with a light coating of silicon grease in a similar situation. I dont know if it worked though, or if he was just blowing air.

Ian

Perhaps you should do as I did and invest in an Asian Leopard Cat hybrid. Rather pricey I know but it'll chase the local dogs away not to mention the mice. :D :D :D

Attachments

• merlin.jpg
    merlin.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 171
Wow!!!!
It actually looks like a mini Leopard. I need one of these cats. Just a shame the wife is allergic to cats.

They dont actually have normal cat fur, much much smoother, denser and shorter - more like a pelt. The body length (nose to base of tail) for a male is up to 30 inches long... not that small :)

Last edited:
Julian Lindley said:
All,
I know that MB provide an Anti Rodent system based most likely on ultra sound. Do any contributors know where I can obtain an MB system economically ie from the original manufacturer, or an alternative system that works and provides good value? Any information would be much appreciated. I live in West Sussex.

Sounds odd until you experience it, but animals do find nice warm cars attractive. Some years ago whilst renovating a house in darkest Kent I had an Austin Maxi (oh, the shame) which served as a very useful self propelled skip. Also became something of a mobile wildlife sancuary. But then one day all the little varmints just vanished.

Why? Because local moggy had discovered that it could squeeze into the warm engine compartment from underneath and have a kip. But you may not need a whole cat! Just some fur or something which smells of cat may put them off. (If you do want to try the whole cat thing, please get someone to video it. I am sure everybody on this forum is keen to see how you get on)

As for ultrasound I tried a "guaranteed never to fail" mains powered unit once to try & rid my loft of squirrels. Absolutely useless, but doubtless MB can supply you with something vastly expensive designed by Baron von Krupp himself which will reduce their brains to pulp.

Some years ago whilst renovating a house in darkest Kent I had an Austin Maxi (oh, the shame) which served as a very useful self propelled skip.

Oh what a relief !! I'm so glad I'm not the only MB owner who has previously
owned a Maxi !! :bannana:

Mine had another good feature - the fact that I managed to trade it in for
a new Audi 80GL.

Sorry I can't really help with the rodent problem unless spraying the infected
area with something like Cat-off/Dog-off that would just make the blighters
go away.

Last edited:
The wife wants know.......................whats the cat named ?

PJH said:
Oh what a relief !! I'm so glad I'm not the only MB owner who has previously owned a Maxi !! :bannana:

Yes, probably a fairly select group. But there must be many a closet Maxi owner around and sure enough..............

http://www.austinmaxiclub.org/

Some say that but for want of decent execution of the original concept (i.e a big Mini) and proper build quality this much maligned vehicle should have been a classic. Yes, well, so was the Titanic. Sadly it turned out like so many of the British efforts of the time. Farina, Allegro, Marina etc: despite what enthusiasts might say now in reality all were completely shite at the time!

I hated that Maxi. I really, really did. Went round corners like a barge on rollerskates, water leaked both in and out, gearbox was a true horror and in crosswinds you virtually had to tack it up the M2. However, it was rust treated when new and just would not die! For all I know it still haunts Kent B roads on dark nights.

Whoa there spike, that is some moggy!
I wants one , I wants one now!!
I can just picture next doors' dobermann running away yelping like a big jessie
Can I borrow him?

Seriously hard looking cat you have there!

Wouldn't like to mess with him, makes my two resident feral moggys look tame!

Talking of cats & cars, I have a funny story concerning cats...

When I had my XR2 (Pocket skateboard ) next doors' cat dcided to have a kip in the engine compartment.
Unfortunately next morning i was on day release at my local tech college (in widnes approx 8 miles away) and said moggy obviously had had a good night chasing female mogs...he didnt wake up in time.
When I got out at the car park at tech and armed my alarm I thought it had gone a bit wonky when it went <meeiaow> instead of <peep>
One of my mates heard it too so we popped the bonnet and then spent 20 mins chasing a rather disorientated moggy round the car park to try and catch it.

What happened next?
Daft b'stard here drove back to Warrington with the cat in the boot where it was promptly offloaded and then returned to college

OOOh the shame... The stick i got lasted for weeks

talking about infestation ie mice my 230te has been eaten by rats big buggers totalled righthand front lights and indicators, abs sensors ads sensor , not to mention 1 ton of rat turd , cost me 80 quid just to get the lights working botched job.

i found that rat poison works the best got 2 of the buggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom