Rolling Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E63AMG

Car
E63 AMG. MINI One.
I had my 2014 E63 on a rolling road today as I was interested to know what bhp it's producing in standard trim, before I set to modding it.

It was in dyno mode but still wouldn't pull past 5000 rpm without upshifting the gears.

Any clues on how to get it to the redline?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Alex. He tried that & it still did it.

Sorry, we seem to be hard of reading. You say the car was in Dyno mode, which just disables, EBD, EBC, ABS?.

I can't think of any reason why the car would upshift by itself at 5k in manual mode? my car will run into the limiter in manual mode (I'm pretty sure) without upshifting, so no reason for this behaviour in either dyno mode or 'normal' mode. You can test this for yourself driving the car (without Dyno mode being selected, of course!).

Did you see the car doing this yourself on the Dyno?
Are you sure he entered dyno mode correctly? it is most strange :)

Thanks. I'm going to run it past 5000 rpm in manual in the road & see what happens. It was in dyno mode but he may not have had it in manual. As you mention, I didn't actually see it as I was stood in the room next door. I'll report back once I've found a quiet road to redline it on in 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wasn't him near Blackpool was it?

Motorsport Developments I'm thinking of. Told me that mine was making nearly 500bhp. I tried to explain that it came with more than that out of the box but he wasn't having it.

Good with front wheel drive stuff, not so with high powered RWD. Also damaged my plastic covers on the rear axle...

It was him yes. I'll be having a look underneath then! Thanks bud.

I had to put mine into dyno mode myself when I went as he wasn't sure how to do it. The alarm bells should have been ringing then, but I carried on. He hadn't a clue how to strap it down either, which was where my covers got damaged as he tried to remove them. Not a biggie really, but it's never happened anywhere else.

I like to try a few dyno readings to get an insight into what the car is doing in various circumstances, though this one was a mistake.

I will iterate that I've nothing against the guy himself, or his set up over there. I found him very pleasant and accommodating, though it seems that he's used to dealing with "Hot Hatch" stuff more than high powered motors with lots of torque as standard and it looked like he was a little out of his depth.

Take it down to MSL in Birmingham if you want an accurate reading on it. Some say that their dyno reads high, though the majority I've seen have been pretty exact figures as per the manufacturer. Mine won't go anywhere else now.

I have yet to have a car on a Dyno but I have had numerous motorcycles tested and I think the trick is to use one Dyno and stick with it when making any modifications.

That way you will get constant readings even if they are higher or lower than expected.

Good luck

I'm sure I've heard a similar story to this before with AMG cars. - When the owner queried it, he was told that he shouldn't be putting his car on a rolling road; AMG use an engine dyno, so there's no way to completely disable the traction control.

I assumed that people had found a way around this (or that it was just one of those stories the rolling road operator told people because they didn't know how to enable dyno mode).

A lot of dyno operators who are used to the manual hot hatch brigade are scared of big automatic cars.....and if they are not familiar with Mercedes then probably don't know how to put it in Dyno mode. It says on the instrument cluster that it's in dyno mode when it is. So my money would be on it was never in Dyno mode and he was worried the car would trash his dyno if it kicked down or shifted up during a full throttle run. So therefore came up with a excuse so he didn't have to run it

Thanks. I'm going to run it past 5000 rpm in manual in the road & see what happens. It was in dyno mode but he may not have had it in manual. As you mention, I didn't actually see it as I was stood in the room next door. I'll report back once I've found a quiet road to redline it on in 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

just to confirm from testing myself, the car will indeed run into the limiter when in manual mode - no automatic upshift, so I call BS on the dyno operator. Of course if you saw it yourself then that's different and so is your car to mine :). There is no reason why dyno mode would change that.

I'd go somewhere else - maybe he got scared :D

Thanks for all your comments & help. I'll get it down to MSL at some point. The problem is, we all know that can be a slippery slope to the mods starting. :) :)

Thanks again.

Nige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom