Rolls Royce employees sent letter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

I've just heard on the radio about RR employees being sent a letter of possible consequences if we leave the EU. They may as move it all back to Munich as far as I'm concerned and stick a propellor on the front. At this juncture perhaps the government might wake up and realise this country is not a big shop but also something people had pride in.... Oh too late, that should have been past tense. Yours bitterly disappointed etc. etc.

Typical bully-boy tactics of large multinationals....they've done their sums, come to a comclusion and will intimidate the workforce to make sure the vote goes the way of maximum profit.

How will they measure the result of their efforts?

According to the interview with the boss of BMW on radio 4 this morning they sent it out because people working there were asking.

they wont move production as its a quintessentially English car, and thats a significant part of the marketing.

So did they give their employees an honset answer then?

'We haven't a clue, no one really knows, even the leading economists are split on this, it's too big and to complicated to model in a lab, it has never been attempted in modern history, all you hear in the news is just guesswork and scaremongering in either direction'.

Is this what they said?

'We haven't a clue, no one really knows, even the leading economists are split on this, it's too big and to complicated to model in a lab, it has never been attempted in modern history, all you hear in the news is just guesswork and scaremongering in either direction'.

Is this what they said?

As you say it is scaremongering in either direction this one being stay in Europe essentially.

Is this what they said?

We may not have a clue as to the true consequences of exit but we can reasonably predict no real change by remaining.

As was pointed out to me during the Scottish referendum, it is for those advocating change to fully make their case and convince the electorate that a positive result will ensue. The Nike approach is not acceptable.

Back to the RR letter. Having taken (after no doubt been leant on) a particular position the one doing the leaning is now beholden to them. Favours traded - I doubt that RR's workers will be the beneficiaries of that.

All big companies hate change they have set their stall out to make profits and pay dividends and they just want things to continue as they are,they spend a fortune in lobbying to make sure there are no nasty surprises looming from government ideas and laws,and so the thought of us plebs actually counting for something scares them ,we need to vote out,but it will depend on the young are they made of sterner stuff than I think,will they have the courage to vote out,they have never known anything else,I hope so the EU is going bust best get out right now.

As far as what I heard the main objection is uncertainty for future investment.
BBC Radio 4 - Today, 03/03/2016 1hour 51 minutes onwards.
While this may not sound very convincing to our flag waving BREXIT friends, its perhaps salutory to remember that the quintissential British company Rolls Royce Motorcars essentially went bust before it was sold to BMW and VAG. I can only surmise this was because, rightly or wrongly, and despite a long and distinguished British heritage, it failed to attract future UK investment at the time?? :dk:

Last edited:
As far as what I heard the main objection is uncertainty for future investment.

I suppose the problem is that Rolls Royce are made from German manufactured CKD kits, the British operation simply assembles the cars from prebuilt subassemblies - thus the duty on importing the part built cars might cost the Germans extra money?

Well of course ze Germans want us to stay in the EU, they can't exactly control us if we are not part of it, can they...............

Leave the EU and nationalise all British companies like Bentley, Rolls Royce, Jaguar etc that have been bought by overseas firms cashing in on our proud heritage.

I suppose the problem is that Rolls Royce are made from German manufactured CKD kits, the British operation simply assembles the cars from prebuilt subassemblies - thus the duty on importing the part built cars might cost the Germans extra money?

This probably falls under the Common European Market which we will not be withdrawing from anyway.

I know a few people who work at the MINI plant in Cowley.

In the UK, BMW rely heavily on agency workers to man the plant and, while the general T's & C's are reasonable in the context of UK employment, they are in many respects not as generous as the company's German employees enjoy in the home country.

For many years the UK has attracted inward investment from companies based both within and without the EU because we have flexible labour laws, a (relatively) low-wage economy compared to other developed countries, excellent communication links, very effective ports and political stability. None of those things are likely to change whether we are in or out of the EU.

To suggest that BMW will "up sticks and leave" if there's BritExit sounds like scaremongering to me.

Rolls Royce trademark is still property of Rolls Royce PLC - the jet engine company.

It is a requirement of BMW to use the name Rolls Royce, they must produce them in the UK.

BMW or VAG never bought "RR"

Bentley, bought by VAG, made "RR's" under license.

As stated by many, leaving EU is not necessarily a problem for trade.

Personally I want to stay in.

No doubt the other car manufacturers will probably follow suit. FORDS build most of there engines in Dagenham and have just put a new line in to build the latest engines and the only reason it was put there was because the government put their hands in there pockets. Now will they follow suit with their work force mmmm!!!! I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom