Roof rack for convertible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steadyeddie

Car
Mercedes CLK 320 W208
Although not specifically listed for a convertible, the Saris Superbones 3 bike rack fitted my CLK perfectly. Very sturdy, with built in racket straps and locks. I would definitely recommend it.

iy0h8h.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes , I've tried the Saris Bones ( bought for her ladyships Focus ) on the back of my SL .

It attaches ok onto the bootlid , with the bottom legs sitting on the bumper , but I haven't hung a bike on it since I wasn't keen on the metal hooks directly on the edges of my bootlid .

I now have an Oris detachable towbar from a W124 ( the chassis of which the R129 is based on ) so hope to adapt this to fit in the near future . There was a factory option for a towbar but this is the nearest I've been able to find .

This particular model attaches to the top and bottom of the bootlid. Like you I was a little worried about the hooks, however these ones are coated in a soft rubber like material. In order to be 100% sure they would leave a mark I also carefully covered the inside of the hooks with velvet tape.

Haha oops!

Ah. Bike rack!

I was wondering quite what sort of roof rack would go on a convertible! :D

Me too! - I know there was a roof rack for the SLK that has great long curved rails to keep the weight off the roof, but I've never seen one for a CLK cab.

This particular model attaches to the top and bottom of the bootlid. Like you I was a little worried about the hooks, however these ones are coated in a soft rubber like material. In order to be 100% sure they would leave a mark I also carefully covered the inside of the hooks with velvet tape.

From what I can see in your picture , the carrier looks very similar to the one we have , with curved top and bottom legs which can be positioned as required - I had mine set up with the top feet near the front edge of the bootlid and the bottom ones sitting on top of my bumper ( different car design to yours ) then the top and side straps hooked into the bootlid , and the bottom ones onto the bottom edge of the bumper .

I decided at that point that I didn't fancy using it with two or three bikes on , otherwise I'd have used rubber sleeving / gaffer tape or whatever to protect my paint .

Since I've been looking for a towbar anyway , so that I can tow my trailer , I'll eventually get a towbar mounted carrier for the bikes .

While my SL rear seats do convert to a luggage area , the owner's manual does state a load capacity of 30Kg for the hard top ( which I never have on ) .

I haven't seen a roof rack for the R129 hard top anywhere .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom