Rough Cost per square meter for Tarmac / Black Paving or concrete Paving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gravel everytime!

Much classier IMO.

Nothing quite like the crunch of tyres on gravel.

Agreed. I have gravel...except where the cars are parked full time, there I have block.

We have thought Gravel or Slate, however........

We have two children 4yrs and less than 1 and if we do this it means they cannot play on their bikes / scooters and other wheeled things at the front.

I like it and its a good security measure also.

Derek
You are correct but one thing I would say is this :-

CBP is the only surface where you can put this right fairly easily and cheaply by re-using the paving.
Try that with shifted/cracked concrete, flagstones, or tarmac !
A word of caution though. Hardcore is not the best sub-base. It is really only suitable as a sub-grade (under the sub-base). This is due to the unpredictability of the void size/shape between individual pieces of hardcore. As the water makes its way into those voids, then freezes and heaves, this can cause the surface to shift. It's all about the "dig" of course. You're generally better with hardcore as a sub-grade, then scalpings/MOT type 1 properly compacted, then the laying sand (sharp).

Agree 100% with the above. Hardcore is a very cheap way to bring up levels but the large voids mean you're asking for trouble with frost heave, and you won't even need a winter as cold as the last two to find that out.

MoT Type 1 is the way to go.

Also agree 100% on the choice of block paving over both asphalt and imprinted concrete. I have never seen an imprinted concrete driveway that has looked good, and they don't usually last very long before they crack and spall.

Printed concrete price with drainage and two man hole covers with edges at both sets if gate.

Cost £6700 (£53 sq m plus vat)

Guy sounded like he knew his stuff. Only does imprinted concrete so his speciality.

Still more than I had in mind however I may just have to re think what I thought !! :)

Don't do PIC, it is far from easily repairable once it has started to crack.

^ would you think Tarmac or block paving best? Weeds pit me off block paving....

Quite like the idea of Tarmac with White stone thrown in house up the road has it and looks good...little one think it looks like snow :)

I believe the council can do tarmac ?

You would have to keep a beedy eye on them and have a supply of biscuits to get a good result though !

Definitely don't go down the paver route. The weeds growing between the pavers in my driveway drive me absolutely nuts plus if they're subject to great weight frequently, like cars parked in the same place consistently, those that are may sink and it all starts to look a bit untidy!

imprinted concrete all the way,ive half concrete and half block paving,the block paving needs de-mossing every 6 months,weeding a total nightmare.if i had funds i would remove and have concrete done to match front half

why not just kill the weeds with roundup?

exactly. CBP needs some regular care, like brushing occasionally, and some preventative weedkiller.

I think it's down to how you want it to look. You could combine the two products dependent on the layout? If you go CBP MAKE SURE you get a proper job done.

But if it is cared for preventatively by sweeping and keeping the sand topped up it isn't usually a problem.

Yes mine is fine, as you say keep the sand topped up. I use Pathclear for the occasional weed, works okay.

John,where i drive in and out the garage and park the cars for cleaning i have created a dip and when it rains a small swimming pool appears. Any idea how much that section would cost to relay? 50ft x 20ft. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Not much Peter I wouldn't have thought.
Send me a pic or two and I'll price it for you. Have pm'd email addy.

I have had my block down for 12 years. Weeds do not grow between the blocks. Two cars have been parked in the same position for 12 years (except when we're driving them), we have even had super skips on it...no sag.

The secret is good ground work. We have stone below the sand. I don't particularly look after it, except the occasional sweep:

Attachments

• 2005_0902_113328AA.jpg
    2005_0902_113328AA.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
We've had blocks on our driveway too... they were put by the previous owners and we've had the house for 11 years...

I never do anything to it... one year I tried pressure washing the grime off... ended up with a facefull of sand, but did end up cleaning the lot...

Cars parked in the same exact place, and the only "movement" there is is near the cherry tree where the roots are raising the blocks. That said, the blocks just create a curve over, and it doesn't look too bad.

I don't like the look of tarmac, and patterned concrete cracks (or at least, the one we have at the rear of the house has cracked quite badly over the winters... It has the same base layer as the blocks out front as it was done at the same time)

Blocks all the way imo! No weeds so far, and only a bit of moss between the cracks... which I've decided to let be as I can't be bothered to cover myself in sand all over again...

m.

One more quote tonight and then I will have to think...

May just keep it as it is :)

(truth be known I would rather have an SLK32 for the weekends than a nice drive...but there you go)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom