Rough Cost per square meter for Tarmac / Black Paving or concrete Paving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ I agree it does spread even the little we have now, hence the raised blocks would be laid at each gate.

I don't have a motorbike only push bike so I'm ok :)

Do your own block paving, it's not hard. Mrs Dm and I laid our 85SqM drive including raised kerbs.
Shop around for the blocks and prices can get pretty cheap. Most of the required sub base will already exist under the tarmac.
If nothing else you get to annoy the neighbours for a few hours with the whacker plate and if using rumbled blocks the dust is something else...

have you thought of the implications of the raised blocks at your entrances, and similar level changes near any other infrastructure, doorways etc?
Gravel should be about 40mm thick. Therefore you need retaining blocks to be at about 50-55mm above the hard surface. Block paviours are 50 or 60mm deep so it's a no go unless you cut a trench out and use kerb blocks which are deeper. They need to be in a decent concrete or will move.
Don't you have a caravan (IIRC) ? That'll be nice to push about on gravel :)
Dig up the tarmac, ensure you have the proper sub-base, set your levels, install edging and kerbs, a geotextile membrane, then drop gravel in. If you like it, great. If you don't, you've already done most of the hard work to block pave it. Seemples :)

^

Thanks, the caravan isn't an issue (just had to google IIRC) it has a mover and moves over gravel :)

I'm not convinced I like the idea of block paving even if the price was more sensible now.

I take on board what you say about levels I'm pretty sure the house / doors of the property would be fine with a 40mm gravel up to it.

The raised blocks are more of an issue as you say with the height of the gravel these would have to be raised quite a lot.

Some of the gravel I have been looking at says its 20mm and due to this it reduces the sticking to grips in tyres and rolliing out. I don't mine sweeping a little in every week as I wash the cars. The stuff we have down now is probably 8/10mm and easily gets trapped in the tyres.

Some good points thanks

We've got 20mm for that reason.

Never again, it's a b******d to walk on, the Mrs' heels need repainting frequently, and it doesn't look as good. Laid before I moved into the trade.

Tumbled blocks or setts will eventually replace it...

Parents house has had it for over 15 years and its been fine to walk on? so not sure about that?

Doesn't look as good? that's all relative and everyone's different.

I'm still looking at options, you watch I will end up doing nothing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom