Rough road handling! Life span on struts and springs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the effective lifespan is of factory fitted struts and springs? My R129 is really starting to rattle and bounce alarmingly when driving over rougher country roads.

I know that the staggered 18 inch wheels don't help and I'm having some suspension components checked on Thursday. I had a new anti roll bar and bushes replaced recently.

Could I need new struts? Mileage is 104,000.

If so, with a coil compressor tool, is it easy to replace struts? I've not done the job before and fancy saving some labour costs.

Thanks, Ian

The underside of an R129 is 99% W124. My recommendation on W124s is to look at suspension bushes, ARB bushes, suspension top mounts, wheel bearings, springs, engine mounts and track rod ends before shock absorbers

Front springs tend to go soft and new springs can improve the ride dramatically

I assume it has standard shocks at the rear & struts at the front

Nick Froome

I don't think you need to remove the springs at all, certainly the front shocks can be removed without touching the springs.

As Nick suggests, by 100k the bushes will be pretty tired if they're original.

Thanks Nick,

I'm having the front bearings checked at John Haynes on Thursday, so I'll ask them to give it a once over. I'm starting to get a slight whine at speed, so I think a bearing is in need or adjustment or replacement.

Ian

Did all of my suspension at 100 000 miles and what a difference that made! I fitted the new springs after the rest of the job was done. Don't let anybody tell you springs don't wear out - they do - how I will never fully understand, but they do!!!

Car is a joy to drive now, even though it is 30 plus year old technology it is magnificent with new suspension and steering - well worth it IMHO.

The R129 is a relatively heavy car for a 2 seater - Approx 4,000 pounds [ 1.8 tons] - a new set of springs and struts might well help. 18inch wheels and low profile tyres won't help either.

Last edited:
Hi all...it's been 6 years since I last posted about this, but I've been away overseas a lot and the car has only done another 10,000 miles in that time, so I've not got around to doing it. I think I will get it checked out somewhere and get a quote from the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom