Roundabouts wrong on DVD Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burnetts

Car
CLK 200K Cabriolet
Just bought a new CLK w209 in September. Comand satnav sometimes announces "Take the first exit at the rounabout" when actually the right exit (which is shown correctly on the graphical display) is the 3rd or 4th etc, so it is just the audio announcement which is wrong.

MB dealer didn't know if this was a known fault but says they can try installing updated firmware when it is available.

Anyone seen this problem before?

Steve

Yes. In fact it occurs regularly (in terms of one specific location) all the time.

On mine the dashboard has a turn left symbol, the display has a turn right. Scary. I normally have the voice muted so I can't say if the system does a 'straight on !'

Wasn't fixed in DVD V4.0 disc either.

Clarky.

command ist right
but uk people drives at the worng side of the road :D :D :D

if you take the rounabout the same as the rest off europe than you don't have any problems with the command ;)

Mike

Turn left at the roundabout

W209 DVD Comand has a design fault which affects about 1 in 4 roundabouts.

If your dealer does not know whether its a known fault what chance does the customer stand. No wonder MB dealers came off worst in the Top Gear 2004 car owners survey.

The latest 2.1 software does not fix the problem and it is a known fault as from last week..

Harmon/Becker and NAVTEQ are desperately trying to fix it.

Go back to your dealer and tell them you want this fault made an MB case number, otherwise you will be stuck with it forever. Or ask for your money back for the navigation unit.

I had a refund for the Comand unit agreed and a fee first service because I made a fuss about it and the Dynamic Route Guidance not working.

Good luck... Steve

Last edited:
saorbust said:
I normally have the voice muted so I can't say if the system does a 'straight on !'
Clarky.

is it possible to mute the voice without muting the radio/CD?

I have a W211 on order but have never had COMAND in my previous MBs.

Yes, you can mute the navigation voice but keep the radio/CD playing. And vice versa.

You can mute the navigation audio seperately from all the other audio functions/sources

In Settings you turn off "Guidance Intructions"

or if you have Linguatronic you say "Guidance Instructions Off"..

To turn back you say "Guidance Instructions On"

thanks much for those comments; looking forward to playing in March :)

calum said:
is it possible to mute the voice without muting the radio/CD?

I have a W211 on order but have never had COMAND in my previous MBs.

The audio from the Nav, and radio can be seperatly controlled. You can turn the volume up and down. Press the nav speak button (the ear with waves coming out) and as it speaks use the volume control on the steering wheel. You can then set the commands from the system as loud or quiet as you like.

I discovered this by accident, it kept going really quiet and it was because I was using the volume control as the nav was speaking. Took me 3 months to find this out!

tvcam said:
You can mute the navigation audio seperately from all the other audio functions/sources

In Settings you turn off "Guidance Intructions"

or if you have Linguatronic you say "Guidance Instructions Off"..

To turn back you say "Guidance Instructions On"

You can also mute the guidance by holding in the mute button (crossed out speaker symbol) while the guidance is being spoken until a message appears on the screen to tell you it's been muted. Press the ear button to turn it back on again.

(Hopefully) re-awakening this thread and moving it back on-topic:

My E Class 211 (with V4.0 disk) had a field day in Wolverhampton - every other roundabout (and there are many) was announced incorrectly ("Take the first left.." when it was the second, third or fourth exit).

Has anyone had any news on any fixes for this fault?

I haven't [yet] seen this on my W211 with version 4.1. However, I never had 4.0 - this is my first COMAND - so I don't know whether 4.1 has fixed it, or whether I've just not seen it yet.

I should say that I have been around lots of roundabouts, and it doesn't seem to have got one wrong yet.

Sounds stupid: I *think* it has happened a couple of times only since I got the car in January but maybe not - but when I went to Wolverhampton it was clear there was something wrong. Could it be road geometry / dual carriageways / the diameter of the roundabout / etc.? Heaven knows.

Unfortunately, I don't live in that neck of the woods so this is not a repeatable problem for me at the moment. I am now driving everywhere with Nav (tiresome) to try to find a local problem roundabout to act as a test.

prprandall51 said:
(Hopefully) re-awakening this thread and moving it back on-topic:

My E Class 211 (with V4.0 disk) had a field day in Wolverhampton - every other roundabout (and there are many) was announced incorrectly ("Take the first left.." when it was the second, third or fourth exit).

Has anyone had any news on any fixes for this fault?

Not experienced any false calls so far (Touching wood as I type)

I wonder where the fault lies. Is it the Navtech\Navteq navigational software, or the Mercedes-Benz side of the software?

Does it do it everytime at the same roundabout? This might indicate bad Navtech programming.

Regards,
John

John

Fixed

My fault was fixed with a new DVD disc to version 4, I think.. and MB gave me a £850 refund towards the Comand unit and a free first service because of all my trouble..

Can't check at the moment my car is in for a fault with the Parktronic

Last edited:
Thanks for the info - I have just received a 4.1 disk from my dealer in response to my request for a fix for this problem. However, whilst he was happy to supply an updated disk, he had no information about whether it solved the problem.

"Unfortunately" I have only experienced the problem once and the dealer has promptly sent me the new disk - so no large cheques for me, then!

Philip

Last edited:
Guys - you will be pleased to hear that my other halfs TomTom Go has the same trouble at some roundabouts - must be not knowing your tenez la gauche from anything else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom