Router & wifi signal help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

addbuyer

SUPPORTER
Car
Panamera Turbo S
Guys I need some help with a router problem.

The wife's parents have internet. Their router (Netgear) has an antenna but neither the wife or I have ever been able to pick up a wifi signal, the in-laws only use the internet via a wired connection. Due to their failing health we want to give them an iPad so we can FaceTime but that needs a wifi signal in the house.
So today I went out a purchased a new router and plugged it in. Instantly I got a wifi signal on my iPhone but no internet! Strangle I was then able to pick up many neighbours signals?
Unable to figure what was happening I plugged back in their current router only to discover that failed to connect to the internet? No configurations carried out, just unplugged and replugged???
Eventually after using the computers repair connection software many times, it eventually reconnected whereupon all the neighbours wifi signal disappeared??
****** off but relieved to get them back on the net, we left.
I have just had a thought on how to get wifi in their house but not sure if it will work hence where any computer savvy guy on here will come in. If i plug the new router into the back of their router (which doesn't give a wifi signal remember) would the new router provide the wifi signal we need? Their computer would remain hard wired to their router (so please God it won't drop out again) and the iPad, being the only wifi device in their house, uses the use wifi of the new router, password connected?
Would this work guys? Or is there configurations to be made? I can't see why as I am not extending their current system, just trying to create a new separate one.
Cheers

1. WIFI disabled on old router?
2. Incorrect ISP / ADSL login details on new router?

Needs a few more troubleshooting steps and time to figure what the problem is..

That or a wifi extender or even some link plugs to connect things in multiple rooms hard wired

Personally, I'd look to keep the old router and add a good WiFi access point, which would set you back 15-30 quid new. If you have a spare WiFi AP give it a go.

That way you retain all the router settings. Setting up WiFI is more foolproof, with only info of your choosing to add.

1. WIFI disabled on old router?
2. Incorrect ISP / ADSL login details on new router?

Needs a few more troubleshooting steps and time to figure what the problem is..

Yes the wifi is disabled on the Netgear router but I couldn't see how to enable it and after the issues of internet loss I darnt start configuring it! This is why I want to know if the new router can piggyback the existing one

The iPad and iPhone accepted the new routers login info and connected but no internet.

Personally, I'd look to keep the old router and add a good WiFi access point, which would set you back 15-30 quid new. If you have a spare WiFi AP give it a go.

That way you retain all the router settings. Setting up WiFI is more foolproof, with only info of your choosing to add.

No wifi from the old router only hard wired port connections?
Just don't understand how their router can be blocking ALL wifi signals from other users in the area?

That's pretty-much the way I run my home. - Cable modem in the cellar running on a gigabit backbone, then an access point (TP Link) in the pantry to spread the signal.

I'm running the same SSID on both the modem and the AP, but different channels so I get a seamless transfer from one source to the next.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DG834GV3/DG834Gv3_RM_20JAN06.pdf

Basically you need to open your internet browser and do the following
type http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. this is default address of the router
it will probably still have its default user name admin and password password this info is normally on the label on the back!
This should allow you access to the router to alter settings BUT consult the manual and change the password after you have set it up!

Typing www.routerlogin.net into your browser does the same with Netgear routers. Use the user name and password as above and turn on wifi making sure that broadcast SSID is enabled and it will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, i will make the journey tomorrow (all being well) and try to enable the wifi. I still cant get my head around why no other signal (neighbours wifi) are visable until i got the wifi enabled on the new router. As soon as i disconnect that new router i loose all the neighbours wifi signals?

There are many explanations e.g. routers can operate of one of two freqencies 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz If the old router was set to the higher frequency or even just use a different signal protocol the other routers might " disappear"

Last edited:
There are many explanations e.g. routers can operate of one of two freqencies 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz If the new router was set to the higher frequency or just use a different signal protocol the other routers might " disappear"

The other routers wifi signals were never vissible. Its as if their house blocked them all or we were out in the middle of knowhere, which we arnt. Every time we visit i have to use my phones 4G for the internet. Go anywhere else in this country and up pops a message aking if i want to join one of many signals the phone has located.

RTFM problem - but get a new router.

Certainly an RTFM problem. As previously discussed: Wifi signal on existing router switched off.

BUT - I would say DON'T run with fixing that 10 year old DG834GV3 router - even though the silver surfers probably don't have sophisticated / speed requirements.

Install the brand new router You'll give them a faster and more reliable signal which will make the best of the broadband link they've got.

If the existing router is tucked away in a bedroom or study (because the wired connection) think about moving it to a more central position - or at least to where it's closer in normal use.

If they then have a Wifi coverage problem within the house, then look to using a power line connector to extend the coverage from the router to wherever they want to use their tablet / laptop. (Powerline adaptors can give you extra length, or get you past concerte floors or tiled bathrooms)

I'm sure they don't need the speed today - but future proof it for the next couple of years as they get used to using their kit.

Last edited:
Advantages of modern dual band routers

Here's a quick summary of why that modern dual band router will give you better connectivity AND speed than the existing 10 year old router:

Why Choose Simultaneous Dual Band

Who is the internet service provider? This information will help to determine if you require a login/password to get internet. After disconnecting or rebooting an ADSL modem it can sometime take several minutes to re-sync and acquire internet service. This can be especially troublesome with some internet service providers who do not have enough IP addresses in their pool to cover their customer base - in these cases disconnecting your ADSL connection will result in your dynamic IP address being re-allocated to someone else. This will cause your modem to wait in a queue for another IP address to be freed up (presumably by another customer turning off their ADSL modem). We experience this problem every time we reboot our ADSL modem in our shop due to the landlord subscribing to a budget ISP, and we have had to wait for over two hours on one occasion to acquire a new IP address. Needless to say we avoid rebooting our modem!

On the WiFi issues, it is worth checking if the SSID has been set to hidden. A strong hidden SSID WiFi (especially from older equipment) can sometimes cause WiFi clients to be blind-sided causing them to report no WiFi signals being available. This is rare but I have seen this problem at least once recently especially with iOS devices.

Finally, if you are plugging in the new WiFi router into the back of the Netgear, make sure you turn off the Netgear WiFi signal by logging in as Admin. It is not a good idea to run two separate WiFi signal in your home unless you are sure they are set to different channels to avoid co-channel interference that can reduce your WiFi speed. In extreme cases, co-channel interference can result in your WiFi signal being blocked!

In order to avoid further costs, just simply use the new router as a wireless access point, connected by cable to a port on the old router. Switch off all routing capabilities of the new one and job will be done.

The best way would really do switch the existing old router into a bridge/modem mode so that you avoid double network address translation and use the superior routing capabilities of the newer model. However that may be rather advanced considering the questions being asked and information provided, as such it would be easier to just run the new router as an access point to avoid double nat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom