Royal Steering Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Personally Abs I would give him the current one, at least that way you will have two 'mint' condition steering wheels! :)
Hey Abb,
The ebay one is not so mint after all at closer inspection but miles better than mine :)

Issue with giving the current one is I’d have to have it removed and I wouldn’t be able to have it removed until I collect his one, and he needs a there and then swap unless I want to pay £100 deposit and have it posted..
Also I’m a bit weird and think perhaps it’s a good idea to keep the original one as it was the one that came with the car (I know I’m a ****ing psycho lol)

I wonder if steering wheel removal should be more than 30 mins -1 hr labour for an indie? I don’t want Jack to do it, so will be done by my lovely indie Terry Gates. (A bit fussy lol)

Although have never removed my wheel myself, as far as I understand, its two torx screws on the reverse side of the wheel which allows the airbag to be removed, exposing one large securing nut, which needs to be undone, followed by a good whack from behind if its being stubborn and off it comes. There are precautionary measures to be taken into consideration, as in making sure the airbag doesn't activate when unplugging which can be done by disconnecting the battery or making sure the ignition is off, and not hitting yourself in the face with the steering wheel, which can be done by loosening the nut but not fully removing it when you force it towards you, so it doesn't make contact with your face!
Hope that makes some sort of sense, but in any case I wouldn't imagine it would take someone more than half an hr to do!

Although have never removed my wheel myself, as far as I understand, its two torx screws on the reverse side of the wheel which allows the airbag to be removed, exposing one large securing nut, which needs to be undone, followed by a good whack from behind if its being stubborn and off it comes. There are precautionary measures to be taken into consideration, as in making sure the airbag doesn't activate when unplugging which can be done by disconnecting the battery or making sure the ignition is off, and not hitting yourself in the face with the steering wheel, which can be done by loosening the nut but not fully removing it when you force it towards you, so it doesn't make contact with your face!
Hope that makes some sort of sense, but in any case I wouldn't imagine it would take someone more than half an hr to do!

Lol I’ll have an indie do it to avoid killing myself :p I can just imagine the air bag breaking my nose lol

Once you get Jack's wheel on you will realise that it was the best move, rather than replacing like for like.

Lol I’ll have an indie do it to avoid killing myself :p I can just imagine the air bag breaking my nose lol
I'm with Abb on this - don't be tempted o_O

It's not just the airbag (which I have removed and refitted myself, when I replaced the control buttons assembly for the carbon fibre one - this was done a few months after Jack fitted my new wheel), it's the whole angle sensor and position, etc and that requires experience one can't get from simply reading WIS pages.

How do you like the G Paddles.....?
They take a little time to get used to them especially having driven my car with the original buttons for the last 5 yrs. The movement is required is minimal so it feels sharper (obviously it's not but the small difference in the leverage angle makes it feel so, if that makes sense) and they are very unobtrusive ie relatively small as you can probably see from the photo's. I notice you're based in Surrey? so you're more than welcome to come and have a look etc

Matt

They take a little time to get used to them especially having driven my car with the original buttons for the last 5 yrs. The movement is required is minimal so it feels sharper (obviously it's not but the small difference in the leverage angle makes it feel so, if that makes sense) and they are very unobtrusive ie relatively small as you can probably see from the photo's. I notice you're based in Surrey? so you're more than welcome to come and have a look etc

Matt

Arnt the gear changes very slow?

Wheel ready tomorrow but due to the weather conditions think I’ll stay home :(

Picked up the new wheel this morning, really happy with it and also Jacks service.

Then off to Terry @ Wayne Gates to fit it, as usual Terry was amazing!

Before:
05_ED52_AE-0_AA4-4_A49-_A910-_AA1_EA503_BA70.jpg

After:
1_DED41_DC-_E8_E5-4859-8730-546_DA08_FF29_F.jpg

1_DC591_B5-_CE9_B-411_E-_B709-_E4_B5_ACFB54_CB.jpg

The new wheel has transformed the car, I honestly feel like I’m driving a different car. Feels like an AMG :D goes to show how much of a difference such a mod can make on something often taken for granted

Thanks for everyones advice and kind words on this thread
Abs

Last edited:
Picked up the new wheel this morning, really happy with it and also Jacks service.

Then off to Terry @ Wayne Gates to fit it, as usual Terry was amazing!

Before:
05_ED52_AE-0_AA4-4_A49-_A910-_AA1_EA503_BA70.jpg

After:
1_DED41_DC-_E8_E5-4859-8730-546_DA08_FF29_F.jpg

1_DC591_B5-_CE9_B-411_E-_B709-_E4_B5_ACFB54_CB.jpg

The new wheel has transformed the car, I honestly feel like I’m driving a different car. Feels like an AMG :D goes to show how much of a difference such a mod can make on something often taken for granted

Thanks for everyones advice and kind words on this thread
Abs

Looks great. The steering wheel is the drivers focal point. If it looks crap and feels crap, it’ll make your experience erm crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks fab, well done Abs!
I know you took your time, in deciding whom to go with, and what features you wanted, but it definitely was the right decision, and the end results speaks for itself.

Very happy for you mate :)

I'm with Abb on this - don't be tempted o_O

It's not just the airbag (which I have removed and refitted myself, when I replaced the control buttons assembly for the carbon fibre one - this was done a few months after Jack fitted my new wheel), it's the whole angle sensor and position, etc and that requires experience one can't get from simply reading WIS pages.

What are you on about?

It's literally just unclip the negative terminal on the battery, two bolts in the back of the wheel to free the airbag, disconnect three plugs in the back of the airbag, unplug one connector from steering column to wheel itself, undo bolt holding wheel on, mark splines with Sharpie for alignment when putting back, pull wheel off...no more, no less, 15 minutes if you take your time about it, 10 minutes to put it back.

The steering angle sensor and clock spring are attached to the lump with the stalks and stay in place unless you're changing either of those. This is also most definitely doable with no more experience than reading the WIS pages, I replaced my SAS last week after doing exactly that. The only concern I had was warnings about twisting the clock spring would break it until I realised it has an automatic locking mechanism built in which makes it foolproof. There isn't even any coding or such involved unless you have Distronic.

What are you on about?

It's literally just unclip the negative terminal on the battery, two bolts in the back of the wheel to free the airbag, disconnect three plugs in the back of the airbag, unplug one connector from steering column to wheel itself, undo bolt holding wheel on, mark splines with Sharpie for alignment when putting back, pull wheel off...no more, no less, 15 minutes if you take your time about it, 10 minutes to put it back.

The steering angle sensor and clock spring are attached to the lump with the stalks and stay in place unless you're changing either of those. This is also most definitely doable with no more experience than reading the WIS pages, I replaced my SAS last week after doing exactly that. The only concern I had was warnings about twisting the clock spring would break it until I realised it has an automatic locking mechanism built in which makes it foolproof. There isn't even any coding or such involved unless you have Distronic.

Hi mate,
Appreciate your trying to help and it makes sense to you but even trying to comprehend that first paragraph just made me reach for my wallet to get someone else to do it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom