RS4 to C63 - First Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came from a C5 RS6 to a E63 AMG, never looked back.

+1...

Until I can get enough of the green stuff together to buy a C7 RS6:thumb:

I drove one at Silverstone the feckin thing is simply an incredible feat of engineering:rock:

Last edited:
I have a question though. Are these vents in the bonnet a real thing or are they cosmetic? What is their purpose (heat mgmt?) and how do they disperse the water?

13534558104_f2ffbb8b4e_c.jpg

Love the car, looks stunning in that colour and those wheels look awesome. Enjoy mate, I'm sure you will :)

Awesome car and great write up.

I'm a year into C63 ownership and love every second of driving, even slowly.

I still want to drive it all the time and it still feels very very fast which is great as sometimes you can really get used to a cars performance.

My only criticisms are the poor dash build quality (lots of rattles), awful mpg and poor after sales / service departments.

I am totally hooked on AMG cars now!

Nice write up. I too have owned a B7 RS4 and I'm waiting to collect my C63 when i get home.

So that’s 4 weeks ownership and I’m still totally smitten with this beast.

In that time – in between the daily commute to work - I’ve done a trip to Ikea in Edinburgh and more recently a long weekend to Manchester (Trying to get the initial 1000miles out of the way so I can start driving her properly)

Fuelling is not a huge amount worse than the RS4, only between 15-20 miles range on a full tank between the two.
What I have noticed is that once the fuel nozzle clicks to indicate the C63 tank is full, then yes the tank is full!
With the RS4 there was a little lever inside the fuel filler which you could push with the tip of the nozzle, this vented air from the tank which allowed you to chuck another fiver in.
I learnt the hard way with the Merc!

On the run back from Manchester I managed a very impressive 24.9 Mpg within the first hour of driving which eventually averaged down to low 24’s across the rest of the journey to Aberdeen.
Enough about fuel costs though, that’s a given with big capacity V8’s.

13758091664_16556ca1a8_z.jpg

On the way to the hotel I managed to miss the turn off (Sat Nav instructions) and ended up on a side street just off Deansgate.
Was sitting waiting for the lights to change when out of nowhere an excited young lad appeared on the nearside with and SLR, crouched low to the deck and started shooting away.
Think he may have been one of the regular car spotter photographers given he was likely shooting through a wide lens which was armed with a polariser.
Seconds later he was joined by another lad who gleefully fired off a few shots.

Mrs Pie was quite shocked / surprised when I pointed out that we were being papped - this would never have happened with the RS4.
I’ll be honest, my ego was suitably massaged at this point. Lights turned green so I gave them a wave and drove off.

I’m still very overly protective about which space I pick when parking in public (even more than I was with the RS4) but managed to land the Jackpot space at the hotel (back right corner – look at that gap either side for avoiding door dings!).

URL]

Boot space is actually smaller than the RS4 as the floor at the back is raised slightly but still managed to get two holdalls and loads of our shopping in no problems.

It was bucketing down in both directions so driving was a real challenge with road spray but absolutely no issues with the Merc – not that I was doing anything questionable given the conditions.
Had a few moments when I hit fairly deep standing water but I did expect the front to get light so no big surprises.
I did notice that quite a bit of road dirt seems to collect around the rear doors, at the far point behind and inline with the door handles – it’s just the way air flows around the car so not much can be done.
Curious as to whether this will become a potential spot for rust in years to come?

On the final journey up the road approaching Dundee, there was an S3 in front who looked as though he wanted to play.
I wasn’t particularly interested as it was getting late and I have seen plenty of speedtraps along the A90 Kingsway in the past.
The guy was accelerating hard off each roundabout, then backing off to let me catch up and taking off again.
Decided if he was heading north to Aberdeen then I would destroy him on the drag up the hill after the final roundabout.

So after a few miles of watching him act like a fool, he indicated left to head for Aberdeen…..
Traction control off, gearbox mode dialled fully clockwise to manual.
He was still in front and took the ‘racing line’ through both lanes of the roundabout. I cleared the roundabout as normal in 2nd, observing appropriate lane discipline and accelerated gently past the ‘likely to break traction point’ then opened up the loud pedal and absolutely humiliated this guy.
Big smiles and manic laughter from me to the soundtrack of unburnt fuel popping and banging out the exhaust; to my left tutting and head shaking from Mrs Pie.

So after 4 weeks of ownership I’m still absolutely delighted with my purchase.
Yes I’m going to be shafted with the initial depreciation but with the big capacity V8’s days being numbered, motoring not getting any cheaper by the year; now is as good a time as any to own something completely bonkers (but with practicality).

Almost forgot – I’m now sitting at 1800miles.
Last night Mrs Pie was napping after work and there was no food in the fridge or freezer, I volunteered to nip out to pick up some Fish and Chips. Thankfully she didn’t want to leave the house so it was me and 8 miles of empty, dry A-Roads in both directions.
The way out was uneventful as I needed to bring the oil up to temperature.
On the way back I decided to give Race Start a go and see what the big deal is. Holy f@@K!
Acceleration on a well executed start is phenomenal, the thing just pulls like a freight train, the sheer amount of torque is brutal and unrelenting. Closest 4 wheeled machine I’ve been in which is comparable to my R1. :bannana:

I'll give you a wave if that's the biggest thing you miss pie!

I'm also in Aberdeen and made the jump from B7 RS4 to the C63, I'm in a black coupe.

Lovely car!

I'll give you a wave if that's the biggest thing you miss pie!

I'm also in Aberdeen and made the jump from B7 RS4 to the C63, I'm in a black coupe.

I'll keep an eye out for you!
Don't suppose you were at Tesco, BoD this evening around 1930hrs?

So the photographer who papped me in Manchester is a PH regular, Danny Hibbert.
Here's the shot he got:

014-2_zps8b0b4151.jpg~original

Nice review Pie.

I've gone the other way, I wanted to go for a B7 RS4 to scratch that itch, but the crazy deal on a new E63 AMG last summer swayed me to that this time around. (£77K 557bhp fire breathing super-estate for the same lease price as an A4 3.0 diesel - err no brainer!)

Hello mate, Where abouts do you get the lease deals from?? Seriously considering one soon and still pretty clueless :thumb:

Pie said:
I'll keep an eye out for you! Don't suppose you were at Tesco, BoD this evening around 1930hrs?

Na, wouldnt have been me at BoD, I'm at the south of the city.

Great shot of you in Manchester. I love the 507s, can see a 507 wagon being my next motor.

I came from a C5 RS6 to a E63 AMG, never looked back.

My view differs - I came from a C6 RS6 to 2014 E63 AMG and slightly disappointed. For me the AMG is a good car but doesn't feel special enough for the money I paid for it.

My view differs - I came from a C6 RS6 to 2014 E63 AMG and slightly disappointed. For me the AMG is a good car but doesn't feel special enough for the money I paid for it.

True but you had a C6, mine was a C5.

Also I have a W211 E63 AMG which I prefer over the newer E63.

However I am saving up for the C7 RS6, just need the prices to drop to 60k....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom