Running out of fuel - dangerous driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...There will continue to be avoidable deaths if there is no safe area to stop on a motorway regardless of whether the cause of the need to stop was avoidable...

To my mind this is the fault in the rationale behind the prosecution.

The driver is being accused of getting herself into a dangerous situation which could have easily been avoided.

But then we do nothing to prevent people from accidentally getting themselves into this situation (e.g. flat tyre, or break down, etc).

So it's either dangerous or it isn't... and if it is, then the risk should mitigated.

The real crime here IMO is the deliberate re-purposing of the hard shoulder on the motorway.Its an economic decision because its a lot cheaper than expanding a new physical lane to increase capacity.

If the decision to 'remove' it had not been taken, most likely someone would not have died. There will continue to be avoidable deaths if there is no safe area to stop on a motorway regardless of whether the cause of the need to stop was avoidable.

It's not rocket science.

Unfortunately the hard shoulder of a motorway is far from a safe area to stop, particularly at night. But I do agree it's better than nothing.

On the BBC News last night, a recording of a call to the emergency services.

I'm on the left hand lane... Oh sh1t! BANG!!!!

A lorry had driven into the back of the people carrier.
I drive on this stretch of motorway every day and this is nothing unusual. It happens numerous times a day, narrow lanes ,average speed cameras and very busy. Most of the time it's a car running in the back of a broken down car and then they drag the cars away and sweep up and then open it up again. If lorries get involved people can die or get seriously hurt.
Plus it's not as easy to recover a truck.
It's a stupid idea, we need a hard shoulder..

Not guilty of causing death by dangerous driving, guilty of causing death by careless driving while under the effect of drugs (cannabis)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom