Rusting Brake discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo1

Car
E class
I’ve found as my cars been laid up the brake discs corrode as I leave it in airport parking when I go away on business.

Even after braking and normal use they’ve become pitted and need replaced at a cost of £700 which I’ve done.

I’ve since started spraying a little wd40 onto the discs upon the garages advice to stop this happening if I leave the car standing outside for any period of time.

It works, not a trace of rust even after leaving it a fortnight for when I was in the states.

I was a little concerned about doing this as wd40 has a lubricating effect but I needn’t have been. The car stops perfectly. Just a tip I thought I’d share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve found as my cars been laid up the brake discs corrode as I leave it in airport parking when I go away on business.

Even after braking and normal use they’ve become pitted and need replaced at a cost of £700 which I’ve done.

I’ve since started spraying a little wd40 onto the discs upon the garages advice to stop this happening if I leave the car standing outside for any period of time.

It works, not a trace of rust even after leaving it a fortnight for when I was in the states.

I was a little concerned about doing this as wd40 has a lubricating effect but I needn’t have been. The car stops perfectly. Just a tip I thought I’d share.

can contaminate the brake pads

can contaminate the brake pads

And what would happen to them?

Would it be a good idea to wipe the disc clean before moving off after “treatment”.

And what would happen to them?

Would it be a good idea to wipe the disc clean before moving off after “treatment”.

Can you park in a multistory car park instead so the car wont get wet ? I feel like thats a much better solution and less effort

Can you park in a multistory car park instead so the car wont get wet ? I feel like thats a much better solution and less effort

Sadly not. It would cost so much more.

The wd40 works a treat. Maybe I should do a wipe down before driving off though?

my pagid discs never rust even after 2 years of fitting .

Sadly not. It would cost so much more.

The wd40 works a treat. Maybe I should do a wipe down before driving off though?

Yeh could you wipe it down with some brake cleaner prior to driving?
Normally the surface rust should be removed when the brakes are applied

my pagid discs never rust even after 2 years of fitting .

These rust after a day and after two weeks are orange. Braking after that time causes juddering, groaning and the removal of rust pits them.

Small squirt of wd40 and the problem goes away.

How do you get to the rear of the discs?

What make of disc were they? (Not the replacements)

How do you get to the rear of the discs?

What make of disc were they? (Not the replacements)

I don’t. Just the surface facing out.

They’re Mercedes parts, bought from the dealer.

Perfectly normal. just drive it, as soon as you press the brakes , it will knock the rust off.

The inside would get just as rusty, it's only surface rust and is usually removed after a few brake applications, maybe a bit noisy until removed though.

They’re Mercedes parts, bought from the dealer.

This is very odd in this case. Are the replacements doing the same?

This is very odd in this case. Are the replacements doing the same?

Yes. It was really bad. Sadly my car stands outside either on the drive or in airport parking weeks at a time.

The wd40 cures it. The garage advised the rust, brake, rust, brake cycle caused the pitting and suggested a small dab of wd40 if leaving it lying could help. And it has.

Yes. It was really bad. Sadly my car stands outside either on the drive or in airport parking weeks at a time.

The wd40 cures it. The garage advised the rust, brake, rust, brake cycle caused the pitting and suggested a small dab of wd40 if leaving it lying could help. And it has.

Have you thought about using a cover?

My discs flash rust in seconds when I wash the car but it disappears in seconds too on first use of the brakes.

How do you get the WD40 on the inner side of the discs.

My discs flash rust in seconds when I wash the car but it disappears in seconds too on first use of the brakes.

How do you get the WD40 on the inner side of the discs.

I don’t but as they’re better covered I doubt they rust like the outer surface :)

I don’t but as they’re better covered I doubt they rust like the outer surface :)

Atmospheric moisture will still corrode the inner surface.

The OEM discs on my CLS55 would rust in seconds after washing the car, just as the OEM discs on my Lexus. Never have any discs ever pitted through rust though.
A couple of graunchy brake applications and all rust gone.

I would feel very wary about spraying the discs (even just the one side!...) routinely with WD40. Is it possible the WD40 might adversely affect the caliper piston seals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom