RWD vs 4WD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Whenever I have this discussion with friends, the choice usually reverts back to their first 'proper' car; it seems very rare that a man that started off in a RWD car will end up preferring 4WD and vise versa.

My first proper car was RWD and having driven a few 4WD's (Audi RS4's and RS6 V10 in particular) they strike me as being rather numb and a little lifeless. I much prefer to be stuck at a junction with my rear wheels spinning away in a cloud of smoke...

Has anyone on here been converted from either side and why?

I'd have thought most people 40 and younger would have started off with FWD?

ETA. I don't' really care. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and you just need to live with them.

My experience of 4WD matches yours, but that's possibly more the types of 4WD I've driven than the actual drivetrain characteristic.

Last edited:
Say goodbye to RWD AMG E Classes after this one, according to Chris Harris after talking to the head of AMG, 93% of the Facelift E63s sold have been 4Matic...

I was referring to when you make the move from FWD to RWD/4WD eg from a Ford Focus to a C-Class.

Got you know. RWD for me.

I've not anti 4WD, but for me for the miles that I do, my work car has to be 2WD for fuel economy.

Mind you, I did use the BMW last week for a particular inspection...

horses_zpsbe149438.jpg

There are references these days to ultra quick cars (ala GTR) being able to post such 0-60 times because of their ability to gain traction, which is generally put down (no pun intended) to their 4 wheel drive.

It used to be that people (Top Gear for example) would say that 4wd cars were hard to launch - because of their 4wd :dk:.

Last edited:
My first car was a Viva HC. Believe me, once you've got used to putting all of that 50bhp onto the tarmac via the rear wheels nothing else will do!

Have not been converted and am totally with you.
Have driven a few cars with the quattro system and apart from the system taking away the pleasure of driving, it's completely unnecessary in our climate.

The reviews on the new 4matic on the E63S are generally positive, will have to see what it drives like. 0-60 times of 3.4 seconds are astounding.

I moved from FWD to RWD and haven't gone back since. Haven't tried 4WD but I love the push you get from a powerful RWD and if a 4WD compromises any of that, it's not for me. Main reason for not trying 4WD is that BMW didn't make them until very recently.

The reviews on some 4WD as in A45 AMG don't even appeal enough to warrant a test drive.

Last edited:
My first car was a Viva HC.

Me too! :)

Believe me, once you've got used to putting all of that 50bhp onto the tarmac via the rear wheels nothing else will do!

I managed to spin mine, twice :eek: ... luckily without hitting anything. Cross-ply tyres and the enthusiasm of youth.

I could understand this totally wrong. It does a happen a lot lol
I enjoyed my gtr (back in early 2001)as it was essentially RWD till more traction was needed and some power sent to the front.
Now audi quattros are different being FWD till traction is needed in the rear. So this is where I guess the 'numbness' comes from??

So if I have its correct i started with RWD and I will finish with RWD (but would consider a 4wd is it was rear wheel biased)

Last edited:
Think the issue can be summed up by saying RWD is more fun 4WD is quicker. On higher powered cars using all four wheels instead of two to transfer all that torque makes for a more stable car which may result a duller but safer driving experience.

Me too! :)

I managed to spin mine, twice :eek: ... luckily without hitting anything. Cross-ply tyres and the enthusiasm of youth.

I had at one point a lime greem mk1 Cavalier. Never span it, but was very surprised the first time the back end came loose - nice and controllable though.

My first car was a 4x4, and my second a RWD... I now see RWD as better road cars, but AWD (which I differentiate from 4x4s) as better "cross Europe" cars, where they end up driving up some alpine pass without tarmac. I can't say I prefer either to be honest. 4x4s I see purely as toys to use off road!

I have owned many over the years both 4WD and RWD, 4WD Certainly gives you more confidence especially if you are pushing 400bhp+ in the wet or damp roads, this time of the year I personally don't like RWD cars if you have a powerful rear wheel drive its a waste of time trying to get traction, 4WD Say the RS4 would leave pretty much most things on either a damp or wet road, how they get the power down is amazing, but bucket seats, heavy clutch and manual all soon wear thin especially if you are stuck in traffic, so roll on the summer in the RWD

I went to Brooklands with a friend who tested the A45AMG. That was my first experience with a four wheel drive,

It was manic, very impressive and made a great noise. I still prefer my V8's though.

4WD Certainly gives you more confidence especially if you are pushing 400bhp+ in the wet or damp roads,
I think you mean wet or damp tracks.

this time of the year I personally don't like RWD cars if you have a powerful rear wheel drive its a waste of time trying to get traction,
It's called the right pedal, lift off to stop spinning the wheels.

It amazes me how many on here complain about traction issues.

I would say horses for courses. I started off learning in FWD, but have been back and forth from FWD to RWD and they have had their advantages and disadvantages.

I drive RWD now and love it but also have 4WD. In the snow and ice I take the ml. Rest of the time I make do in my coupe.

J.

Have not been converted and am totally with you.
Have driven a few cars with the quattro system and apart from the system taking away the pleasure of driving, it's completely unnecessary in our climate.

I agree, it confuses my why I see so many people on the forum say that they "can't get the power down" etc etc. I think it's as much about the driver as it is the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom