S202 speaker upgrading recommedations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

123quackers

Car
C250TD W202
As title really, i have noticed they are very shallow type speakers in the front as had the cover off.
not checked rears.

not looking for blow the doors off sound just these are a little tired from what my ears tell me..

would to just straight switch if possible.

cheers
Dan

Hi dan

I ended up replacing the whole sound system in my c36 w202, speakers, cabling, amps processors, etc etc

most 6" speakers can be made to fit the fronts, get a good make - 3 way or component two way and replace the tweeter too, you may need to make a small spacer ring up. I would also put a few squares of dynamat type material on the door skins to stop any vibration.

you may find they may need more power, then you start getting into the grounds of amps etc.

hope that's a good starter

rears were smaller 4" is I recall, same again, a good set of two ways would be sufficient

Hi dan

I ended up replacing the whole sound system in my c36 w202, speakers, cabling, amps processors, etc etc

most 6" speakers can be made to fit the fronts, get a good make - 3 way or component two way and replace the tweeter too, you may need to make a small spacer ring up. I would also put a few squares of dynamat type material on the door skins to stop any vibration.

you may find they may need more power, then you start getting into the grounds of amps etc.

hope that's a good starter

rears were smaller 4" is I recall, same again, a good set of two ways would be sufficient

thanks, just hoping to improve the sound a little not into the amp thing.. a good modern head units with mosfat amps in will suffice i think..

dan

go for it, try and match the headunit real power to the speaker and you will be fine

When I had a W202 I put the custom fit pioneer speakers in the front doors and dash. If you can find a set they are a worthwhile upgrade.

Hi,
When I upgraded the sound system in my C43 202 I bought a set of door builds because of the limitations of mounting, and the size possible in the front doors. Because of these door builds I was able to fit multiple speakers in the doors and split the signal for Bass Midrange and tweeter.
Pics of the door builds manufactured by a company called Jehnert.

In my C230K I fitted Focal 6.5 component speakers, these were driven off of a small 4 channel Audison Amp mounted in the boot, these speakers were fantastic and have been the best speakers I have ever bought for a standard replacement location and can thoroughly recommend them. Be aware any speaker will need mounting adapters, as the original speakers have the mountings built in.
I also fitted the same speakers in the rear shelf, these again needed mounting adapters.
I also on both cars fitted as much dynamat to the inside of the door skin which isn't a great deal due to access but it did make a difference I even fitted it to the inner door skin and the inside of the door build on the C43 and difference again was very noticeable.
Good luck in whatever route you decide.

I've noticed in the w202 wagon there is a large space in the carpeted rear load area side 'pods'. I hate 6x9's but I have a good quality pair (JL) which I am going to mount stealthed behind. I think when I had the interior our there were mounting positions for speakers behind there anyway, hence giving me the idea.

I'm doing this in a few weeks so I'll add some pictures if youre interested.

I fitted good quality 6" components in my doors to solve the above issue also.

Beers, H

I've noticed in the w202 wagon there is a large space in the carpeted rear load area side 'pods'. I hate 6x9's but I have a good quality pair (JL) which I am going to mount stealthed behind. I think when I had the interior our there were mounting positions for speakers behind there anyway, hence giving me the idea.

I'm doing this in a few weeks so I'll add some pictures if youre interested.

I fitted good quality 6" components in my doors to solve the above issue also.

Beers, H

Well, my big stereo days are over for me now I'm getting old...

Gone for a set 17cm Sony mega bass front plus 10cm in rear doors
With mex 100bt head unit if I need it...
Didn't realise there was tweeters in top dash zone before ordering but the Sony speakers are 3way so will see..
As for the 6x9 in the back side pods will have a look at that tomorrow
Thanks

Well

Well, my big stereo days are over for me now I'm getting old...

Gone for a set 17cm Sony mega bass front plus 10cm in rear doors

Is definitely a contradiction.. Yeah unfortunately the OEM door speaker recesses are very shallow, not sure what to do about that, cut out the back of the plastic maybe?

going to investigate that, have door card tools an some spare clips as sure after 17 years some are bound to break

going to investigate that, have door card tools an some spare clips as sure after 17 years some are bound to break

I've actually never had a problem with the clips, they're nylon brutal push lock clips. Maybe I got a good batch of nylon in mine.

As title really, i have noticed they are very shallow type speakers in the front as had the cover off.
not checked rears.

not looking for blow the doors off sound just these are a little tired from what my ears tell me..

would to just straight switch if possible.

cheers
Dan

Some inspiration for you. Very chav-esque but free for me. Black speaker grilles will stealth them well.

And easy fit..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom