S205 - Boot / tailgate fully open this morning, frozen inside!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

misterspoon

Car
C250d AMG Line Estate Prem+ Airmatic, Assist Pack, Brill. Blue :-)
Hi All,

Woke up this morning to an icy car on the driveway, with the boot wide open and the contents covered in frost. Thankfully nothing taken and care still present and correct!

Anyone else had this experience? I've had the obvious thought of leaning on my keys in my pocket from inside the house, which could still be the case. However, I've also found the odd mention of this on other MB models thanks to google.

Most people of course suggesting it is down to the pressing the key accidentally (which will from now on have keyless entry disabled and placed into a drawer as standard!)

But a couple of posts on this thread seems to be far too similar to my scenario, especially the reference to cold nights.
Tailgate opening by itself - Page 3 - Mercedes GLA Forums

Well actually my GLA 220 4matic had the boot open problem, it only happened once one cold winters night, actually about 2.00 a.m. My kindly neighbour hammering on my door persistently (thank goodness). So there obviously is a real issue here.

My car has now spent another three days at the local dealership and the Service Manager checked what the last software update was meant to do - guess what, fixing boot locking problems

Today I have experienced the boot opening by itself on my 250 AMG Line. Boot was full of frost and ice; lucky it wasn't raining or the sub might've bitten the dust.

Admittedly this page is for GLA owners, but I'm sure there are some shared components and software across models (mine is a 2016 C class estate with keyless entry and 'boot kick' opening).

Any friendly people on here 'inside the circle' can verify the claims about recent software updates fixing boot problems?
I've phoned the local dealer, waiting for a call back.

Would love to know what time the boot opened (e.g. after I'd gone to bed or not!) but doubt the diagnostics will record anything to that level of detail?

:cool:

I had this a few times when I first got my car. Took it back to the dealer who fixed the problem. Not happened since.

Sorry I don't remember what they did, maybe replaced a module?

I had this on an ML350 a couple of times, started taking the key upstairs with me in the evenings and it hasn't done it since. Do you leave you car keys close to the car?

A long shot maybe...

Do these cars have that 'wave your foot under the rear bumper to open the tailgate' function?

If so, it might be that the key is near enough to enable this when the local cat goes under the car to warm up near the exhaust, cats (pun intended), etc.

I had it happen to my S320,as I was doing a little DIY I suspect I had pressed the boot open on my key while working,fortunately it had not rained that night,I would not get the dealers involved until it does it again.

I had this once on my S205. Assumed it was me pressing the button by mistake when lying down or playing with the kids - I often keep the fob in my jeans (watch) pocket.

Fortunately a neighbour knocked on my door and told me.

Hasn't happened since.

I experienced this a few nights ago and put it down to my having inadvertently pressed and held down the unlock button for the boot - but wasn't convinced. It hasn't happened since.

I had this on an ML350 a couple of times, started taking the key upstairs with me in the evenings and it hasn't done it since. Do you leave you car keys close to the car?

Kind of - so they are left close enough for the remote to work when buttons pressed (works from inside the house) but not close enough for keyless entry to work, need to be next to the car for that to work!

Actually you've made me think of another option... something else in the drawer squashed the key/button? Anything is plausible!

A long shot maybe...

Do these cars have that 'wave your foot under the rear bumper to open the tailgate' function?

If so, it might be that the key is near enough to enable this when the local cat goes under the car to warm up near the exhaust, cats (pun intended), etc.

Yes it sure does! I was talking to a colleague today and they suggested exactly the same theory, and I was starting to convince myself that was the logical explanation... and the pattern of cold nights with other people would fit with creatures seeking warmth...
Until I tested it out by leaving the key in the same place as last night, and going out to try the kick sensor... then having a :doh: moment realising you need to have the key really close for that sensor to work!

I've disabled the keyless entry tonight and will check the boot before going to bed! But as others have said, I suspect it won't happen again (for a while at least)

Thanks for ALL the replies, the helpfulness of the forum is humbling! :thumb:

I had a similar issue, I would press the button to close it and walk off however the boot wouldn't actually close all the way down but it was still trying to lock. It was also a hit and miss experience as to how far it would open even after checking the settings in the menu. I gave up waving my foot under the rear as i looked a bit stupid when it didn't open!! They reset the software apparently however when I had it back it started to do it again. They then changed the motor and not had any issues since

Saw a similar thread yesterday about someone who came out in the am to find all windows down, and the interior soaked as it had rained :(

People wondering about very cold temps affecting it. (It does seem strange that there is a rash of these type of incidents in a cold snap).

People wondering about very cold temps affecting it. (It does seem strange that there is a rash of these type of incidents in a cold snap).

Exactly what I was thinking... only a few cases reported on forums, but seem to be a link to cold temperatures. Either there is a pattern... or we are just looking for one... hard to tell if it's coincidence or a technical fault!

Yet more electronic ****tery on cars that we just don't need.

I had this on my W212, I would go outside to find the bootlid up, even did it in the car park at Heathrow airport once with suitcases in the boot :dk:

I thought it was me pressing the key fob, but having closed it from a "ghost" opening on my driveway, I carefully kept the keyfob safe so I couldn't open it accidentally, and an hour later is was open again.

There was a problem with a sensor? on the boot catch mechanism, fixed by Mercedes. They did however tell me that the boot wouldn't open whilst you were driving despite the fault, which to be honest would have been a better option than say Heathrow airport car park.

Moral of the story is get it checked out, it might not be you doing it accidentally.

Thanks Monkeylegend! Sounds like I'd better get it checked to be on the safe side.

Can you remember if they diagnosed it relatively easily? E.g. error codes on diagnostic check?

I'll post back here if I have any update.

It was an easy fix, not sure if any error codes were read but Robinsons seemed to know straight away what the fault was, so had clearly had it a few times.

I think from memory it was either a sensor or a solenoid? which operates the opening mechanism. I think a bit of water/rain had got into the mechanism and caused the issue.

HTH.

I experienced this a few nights ago and put it down to my having inadvertently pressed and held down the unlock button for the boot - but wasn't convinced. It hasn't happened since.

Happens about once a year with my C250. I'd assumed I'd accidentally pressed the boot open button and not noticed. Perhaps not..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom