S210 Bump this afternoon - ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
Text message this afternoon from SWMBO:

"On the drive outside the house, wet foot slipped off brake, car crashed into house.........."

Upon my return home, I found that the NSF corner had hit the corner of the porch, whilst the wheels were on a righthand lock. The wing is badly scraped and the bumper rearranged. I was hoping to bring them back in to some kind of alignment to permit some motoring, but then I noticed that the wheel alignment is a mile out!:( It is towing out a lot.

In circumstances like this, which parts are likely to bend first?

It is unfortunate to end like this, but i fear that our trusty old S210 might have just come to the end of the road. :doh: I mean, without this damage, what could it be worth? Year 2000, 170k miles, average condition, excellent runner, but little MOT?

To get it back on the road, as minimum, it needs the tracking to be sorted (don't yet know what's wrong), a new NSF headlamp (one of the brackets snapped off in the impact). Then there's the cosmetics of the wing, and the front bumper.

The suspension and steering arms are designed to bend and are relatively cheap to replace. Then it is getting it correctly realigned and the body sorted.

Plenty of second hand parts. Bumper, wing and headlamp are simple bolt on.

If it is running well, I'd fix it as for a few hundred quid you won't find anything close

Then there is painting too...... it is quite possible that repairs would cost £2-300, then what would I have? A car worth £2-300!

Then there is painting too...... it is quite possible that repairs would cost £2-300, then what would I have? A car worth £2-300!

Yes. Or you have a car worth £100 and that will not get you anything.

If you were already looking for a replacement then now you have the perfect excuse :D

If you have space and time, you could break it

If you were already looking for a replacement then now you have the perfect excuse :D

Hard going on these. Sold one exhaust clamp in months!:D

Can I get that much for an un-roadworthy scarp car?

Indeed. We were already on the lookout for a replacement, but it is the inconvenience of having to rush a decision that really hurts.

Alas, I have neither.

I've got a good un-misted 2010 210 headlamp for grabs, cheap.
50/50 it will be ideal...

A 2010 headlamp for a 210? They weren't making them then?!:dk:

Cheers, I'll send you a PM.....

Can I get that much for an un-roadworthy scarp car?

If it is only going to be weighed in and dragged away, there are plenty of small items you could remove. Injectors, other headlamp, even turbo. Rear lights are easy too as is the MAF.

If it is only going to be weighed in and dragged away, there are plenty of small items you could remove. Injectors, other headlamp, even turbo. Rear lights are easy too as is the MAF.

#1. I'm after the linkage rod for the rear xenon height sensor.

#1. I'm after the linkage rod for the rear xenon height sensor.

Is it the same as the front? I have a sensor, front I think which I purchased from Nick as a complete kit (I specified all the bits from the car) but I received only one sensor, the plugs off the harness and other bits missing. If it is of any use PM me

Don't know what I was thinking........ the damaged corner is the OSF, not NSF.

How much adjustment is there in the track rods? Wondering if I can adjust out some of the toe-out to allow the car to be driven to a Garage?

Do the track rods have adjustment markers to show minimum engagement?

Garage reported that it needs a new steering rack, antiroll bar, OSF wing and headlamp, plus 2 front tyres.
Reluctantly decided to let the old girl RIP (unless someone else wants to revive her.:(

Anyone interested in taking the whole car for spares or repair?
Interior: heated leather, 7 seats good condition.
Mechanical: 2.8 165k miles great runner. Auto box is sweet, brakes fine, new front springs 6 months ago.
Wheels from a 211 great condition, 2 with nearly new tyres.

Car is in Malvern. Let me know if interested.......

Is it the same as the front? I have a sensor, front I think which I purchased from Nick as a complete kit (I specified all the bits from the car) but I received only one sensor, the plugs off the harness and other bits missing. If it is of any use PM me

Cheers Bob, I'll have a look soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom