S210 new 'Mechanical ' steering feel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Driving the old beast yesterday and it felt like there was some obstructive intervention in the operation of the rack - no evident shake or vibration on the road as such, just a feel through the wheel as you go from lock to lock of something there causing it not to be smooth. Sorry I can't describe it better. Anyone had this and any ideas if it might be something simple (inexpensive) to solve?

It also has electrical gremlins - turning on the lights when you're driving causes a power drop (overcome by pressing the throttle harder), which eventually becomes the triple crown light show - ESP, BAS SRS "go to workshop". Stop and restart without the lights on and it's fine. Maybe a short circuit somewhere in a bulb holder?

It may all be for nothing as sadly I think it's time may have come 50 miles short of 150,000 - and the decision we keep reviewing and putting off every year may have to be made this summer.

Different car, I know... but a "mechanical" feeling developed in the steering of a Jaguar S Type I owned a few years back. It turned out that the universal joint in the steering column had to be replaced. The replacement UJ developed the same problem a year or so later (I wasn't impressed).

Last edited:
Mine's also hit 150 K this week.

SLS fluid level OK?
Otherwise, it probably needs to go up in the air to check ball joints etc.

Christmas tree lights - earth strap behind headlamp?

Keep it - mine has just hit 207k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom