S211 E320cdi Estate headlight washer replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulXC

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Hymer Camper Van
My 2006 estate failed it's MOT today on non working headlight washer.

Garage want 260£ to supply and fit. Checking EBay I can pick up a shand unit for £25.

Anyone know how much of a job this is to fit?

Is it a bumper off job?

I'm pretty handy with the spanners but no expert!

Should be similar to W210 so bumper off. You may be able to do it with headlamp in situ.

Is it not squirting? Pipe blocked? Leaking?

If it's the pipework that has failed, or is blocked, replacing the unit won't fix it. What's it actually doing when you try to use the headlamp washer?

No Bumper removal required when i did the OSF Jet.

If the Jet comes out but does not spray the Washer jet/unit is blocked

If it doesnt come out at all the line from the pump is blocked or pump itself not working. Can you hear the pump buzz?

I used a 1/4 drive uj with a Philips attachment and a Screw driver attached to unscrew the retaining screw from outside the bumper holding down the FLap the jet pushes through.

Then With the bonnet open reach down to the pipe connector (elbow) join where it attaches to the back of the Pump.
Push the tab in and pull the connector outwards be patient its tight. (you should get a flow of water from the pipework) this will drain completely all washer fluid.

Now you can pull the Jet forward to release if from its holder beneath the headlight. Let it drop onto the plastic splash guard/belly pan.
You ca reach the Pump through the Bulb replacement hatch in the belly pan at the corners.

I took apart the Jet via the tabs each side using 2 small flat blades and cleaned it out. Then i put a bicycle pump on the end of the pump and blow air through it several times then ran water through it and actuated it with the pump at the same time. Water gets everywhere.

Re assembled the unit, checked that it squirted water before re-fitment which is the reverse of removal. Fill the Screenwasher Bottle before actuating the washers/pump as you can damage the pump running it dry.

Thanks chaps ... the car is at the garage at the moment but I'm in sunny Spain for a few days. I dropped it off for the mot before I left. I'll have a look over it when I get back but the job sounds within my capabilities.

It would hurt to pay £260 to fix it!

Are the parts the same as used on a 210?
If so, then I've got them all available, very cheaply.

Well.... so I got home and checked the car this morning. Headlight washer works perfectly !!!!!

A trip to garage to discuss is in order.

But .... it also failed on the "headlight aim beam kick up to the off side".

I bought this car new in 06 (2007 year model) in Spain so its LHD. Never changed the lights - just moved the lever to flatten the beam.

I've MOTed it 8 times and this is the first time its failed on the headlights.

I this a new MOT rule does anyone know?

The car has code:
614 - BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC
619 - CORNERING ILLUMINATION

So I'm guessing new RHD lights are going to cost a packet.

Way hey ! Got an MOT.

Thanks merc85 - I stripped the washer jet down as per your instructions as it was working but a bit intermittently. Turns out the garage e was wrong - you don't need take the bumper off to get at it. Open the flap - one screw off, one pipe clip and pull the washer out through the bumper - takes 5 mins tops.

The headlights went through with some beam deflectors on.

I love the way the garage quoted me £260 for the washer jet repair and possibly another £1500 for a new pair of headlights. Cost me £7 in total for the beam deflectors and a hour of cleaning the jet.

Are the parts the same as used on a 210?
If so, then I've got them all available, very cheaply.

Cheers but am sorted for now - btw A2118600647 is the right hand side washer jet - A2118600547 is the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom