s212 e500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got it yet?
Yes, thanks for asking! Picked it up at lunchtime and enjoyed the drive back, until I reached the M25 at least! Fuel consumption impressive until that section..

Definitely a few steps up from the C class and feels really planted on the road. Engine so quiet and smooth, could probably go everywhere at max 1600 rpm. Think I'll be sticking to comfort mode for suspension but sport mode for the gearbox, that suited me. Could be tempted by 17" wheels, at least for a winter set maybe. Quite a lot of tyre noise from the wide 18's? Need to do some long trips in this car to stretch it's legs.

Not tried the toys yet really, will look more over the weekend

Yes, thanks for asking! Picked it up at lunchtime and enjoyed the drive back, until I reached the M25 at least! Fuel consumption impressive until that section..

Definitely a few steps up from the C class and feels really planted on the road. Engine so quiet and smooth, could probably go everywhere at max 1600 rpm. Think I'll be sticking to comfort mode for suspension but sport mode for the gearbox, that suited me. Could be tempted by 17" wheels, at least for a winter set maybe. Quite a lot of tyre noise from the wide 18's? Need to do some long trips in this car to stretch it's legs.

Not tried the toys yet really, will look more over the weekend

Yes, you really can go everywhere at 1,600rpm if you want to. it's like a diesel at the bottom end. But not at the top.

I've got a spare set of 17's and winters that mine came on. I was thinking of storing them until next winter and selling them. Happy to discuss with you if you're interested.

Enjoy playing with it this weekend!

On tyre noise, I find mine also has quite a lot of tyre noise and I originally considered getting some 17s instead of the standard 18s. But there have been a few threads on here about tyre choice and that seems to be quite a factor. Mine came with new tyres all round :thumb: but they’re Pirelli (front) and Conti (rear) and seem to be the regarded as the least good option :crazy:.

They’re lasting surprisingly well, only just over half-worn after 15,000 miles, but when they’re worn down I plan to get something better. In various threads on here the AMG boys seem to recommend Michelin Pilot Sport or Goodyear Eagle for being quieter and grippier too.

On tyre noise, I find mine also has quite a lot of tyre noise and I originally considered getting some 17s instead of the standard 18s. But there have been a few threads on here about tyre choice and that seems to be quite a factor. Mine came with new tyres all round :thumb: but they’re Pirelli (front) and Conti (rear) and seem to be the regarded as the least good option :crazy:.

They’re lasting surprisingly well, only just over half-worn after 15,000 miles, but when they’re worn down I plan to get something better. In various threads on here the AMG boys seem to recommend Michelin Pilot Sport or Goodyear Eagle for being quieter and grippier too.

I put Falkens on mine. Mid-priced but very good. Worth having a look. Seem like good all rounders.

I've got a spare set of 17's and winters that mine came on. I was thinking of storing them until next winter and selling them. Happy to discuss with you if you're interested.

Thanks, let me know some more details and I'll give it some thought. Send me a mail if that works through the forum?

For me it's not only tyre noise but also find the ride firm, although loving air suspension. But with 3 new conti's on there it will be a while before I change. Would agree on Michelin PS though as have used them for years on my other car.

Wondering how much difference 17" wheels would make to the ride?...

I have an Olympic Silver in Boring on this subject - on Mercedes S211/W221, BMW E90/E91/E39 and Porsche.....

The simplest version is that one inch does make as a lot of difference, but it's all a personal judgement. And, yes, other factors are at play: make and condition of the existing tyres and suspension settings. You have bought a "Sport" version of the S212 so it is set up to be firm.

See how you settle into the car but, if it still feels firm, a "downgrade" (sic) could well solve your problem for you. It's easy to fund as there will be more looking to swop in the other direction. But make the call after you've got used to the car on the roads that you actually drive on, and if you're tempted to change, get someone to demonstrate a car on smaller wheels to you.

For me it's not only tyre noise but also find the ride firm, although loving air suspension. But with 3 new conti's on there it will be a while before I change. Would agree on Michelin PS though as have used them for years on my other car.

Mine came on Avantgarde 17's. The ride was pillowy. After a couple of months I noticed that the tyres were Michelin Alpins (ie winter tyres) and, realising I needed to change the tyres, used that as an excuse to go to 18's at the same time. Bought some rims from Wooodythewise on here and had a set of Falkens fitted.

Really like the look but also notice how nuggety the ride has become over broken tarmac and speed bumps where I am (London).

It's fine on smooth tarmac of course - the run down to Bordeaux in August was great :)

My 212 was a Sport model on 18 inch wheels; I replaced it with a Sport 211, also on 18 inch wheels. Both had a distinctly firm ride. My current E500, with airmatic and 18 inch wheels, rides much better. I think it's mostly down to suspension rather than wheel size.

My 212 was a Sport model on 18 inch wheels; I replaced it with a Sport 211, also on 18 inch wheels. Both had a distinctly firm ride. My current E500, with airmatic and 18 inch wheels, rides much better. I think it's mostly down to suspension rather than wheel size.

I can't comment on steel-sprung E Classes as mine have both been on Air.

On my 212, though, the Air has been the constant - only the wheels have caged.

In this case of this particular the ride is definitely better on 17's - remarkably so.

I bet for the chassis engineers' point of view the 17 is the sweet spot. For the designers it'll be the 19 (see E63). I've gone for a compromise.

I've had steels and airs on the 211s, but only steel on the 212. I presume the 212 E500 has air as standard, but was/is there a Sport and a standard air suspension set-up? The standard air on the 211 gives a very good ride on 18" wheels, but the AMGs were firmer.

I presume the 212 E500 has air as standard

Yes, on 211's and 212's

but was/is there a Sport and a standard air suspension set-up?

If you're asking "was there an AMG version on Airmatic?" then I'm sure the anwer was "yes". IIRC at some point the AMG engineers got rid of the Air front struts altogether and reverted to steel.

The standard air on the 211 gives a very good ride on 18" wheels
but the AMGs were firmer.

I'm sure if you compare a 211 E55 on 18's to a 211 or 212 on 18's the AMG would be firmer.

And if you compare a 212 with Air (or steel I guess) on 17's and 18's the ride on 18's won't be as good. The 17's are 245/45 whilst the 18's are 245/40 and 265/35. There's just less tyrewall to absorb the initial impact of poor tarmac.

They look a bit better but perform a bit worse.

Nothing unique to the W211/W212. The same conversation goes on across the product range AND the manufacturers -esp BMW & Audi

SO many people whinge about BMW's with firm set ups on sport suspension / large wheels after choosing sport set up for its cosmetics then without realising that with sports suspension and tyres, comes a harder ride.

Nothing unique to the W211/W212. The same conversation goes on across the product range AND the manufacturers -esp BMW & Audi

SO many people whinge about BMW's with firm set ups on sport suspension / large wheels after choosing sport set up for its cosmetics then without realising that with sports suspension and tyres, comes a harder ride.

Agreed.

I was in a 221 S Class taxi in Greece a couple of years ago and I commented on the amazing ride quality. The driver laughed and pointed out he'd deliberately kept it on in the smallest wheels. It was like a magic carpet.

I was also one in a LWB 7 Series "exec limo" in London a few years ago. It was the funny-looking Bangle one and it had the massive "cotton reel" rims. Shockingly-bad ride in the back. It dominated and ruined the experience.

The latter is just stupid design. On any other wheel that car looked daft. But putting those wheels on it made the car look less daft but made the ride awful.

The Frankfurt airport run is another good example. Ordinary E class taxis with 200+k on the clock, riding fast yet so much smoother than London Taxis, thanks to small wheels, non-sport suspension.....OK....and good roads.

Yes, on 211's and 212's

If you're asking "was there an AMG version on Airmatic?" then I'm sure the anwer was "yes". IIRC at some point the AMG engineers got rid of the Air front struts altogether and reverted to steel.

I'm sure if you compare a 211 E55 on 18's to a 211 or 212 on 18's the AMG would be firmer.

And if you compare a 212 with Air (or steel I guess) on 17's and 18's the ride on 18's won't be as good. The 17's are 245/45 whilst the 18's are 245/40 and 265/35. There's just less tyrewall to absorb the initial impact of poor tarmac.

They look a bit better but perform a bit worse.

All my cars have been on 18" wheels. Both my 211 AMGs were airmatic. The ride on both my 211 Sports was perhaps slightly stiffer than on the 212 Sport; all three were on steel. My E500 on air is easily the best-riding of the lot. I suppose a stiffer ride is what the market wants now; that's progress for you...

Bangle's cars all looked a bit daft, on 'cotton reels' or not. My '07 XK has 20" wheels, and rides well, so it can be done.[/QUOTE]

My '07 XK has 20" wheels, and rides well, so it can be done.
[/QUOTE]

But "A Jag's a Jaaag !!" All Jag's are soft. it's what they do. If they rode hard they'd rattle the owner's dentures.

I suppose a stiffer ride is what the market wants now; that's progress for you...
Maybe motoring journalists are a bit to blame: their rating of a given car is always based in part on how it handles, and they always test cars at the limits of handling and that impacts the score. I’m sure cars that handle well are rated higher than cars that ride smoothly. So manufacturers may have an incentive to produce cars that handle well at the limit, at the expense of ride quality?

Think the BMW's use run flat tyres as well don't they? Which makes the ride even harder.

I knew it would be firm in the Sport but I liked the colour and the spec and decided not to wait for an Avantgarde. Anyway, interesting to read everyone's feedback on comparisons between the set ups and wheel sizes, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom