S212 - why does my luggage cover flap up and down at the back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
I have a 2010 S212 with an electric tailgate and automatically-retracting luggage cover.

The cover has an articulated section at the rear which can be flipped into a vertical position when the cover is fully retracted to protect the rear of the headrests/hide luggage from the driver's view.

BUT when the cover is fully extended this section just flaps up and down. I don't recall it doing it when I first got the car but it does it all the time now.

Any ideas why and what I can do to stop it?

I have the same (similar) model. But I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the piece that flaps up and down. Can you post a picture? Is the piece which you can grab (i.e. has a handle) at the end of the luggage cover? If it is mine definitely doesn't 'flap'. But I have a 2014 model and maybe it becomes more 'flexible' with time and wear. But I will check later this afternoon.

Is the piece which you can grab (i.e. has a handle) at the end of the luggage cover?

Yeah, that's the fellah. On mine, anyway, there's a hinge running the whole width so you can, as I say, flip it vertically when it is retracted. But when it is extended it flaps up and down when I go over speedbumps.

If it is mine definitely doesn't 'flap'. But I have a 2014 model and maybe it becomes more 'flexible' with time and wear. But I will check later this afternoon.

Thanks. In theory the hinge should be tightened up in some way when the cover is extended. I'm just wondering if it's meant to have some sort of (internal?) over-centre mechanism which has given up.

I can't see any other way it could work.

Right had another look, this time from the inside (can't really see anything properly from the outside through the privacy glass).

Looking over the back seats I can see the hinged rear part of the cover is hanging limply at about 45 degrees.

If I rotate it up and down I can hear a slight click from the mechanisms in the rear pillars.

If the cover is taken out of the guides and I try the same thing there are no clicks.

So my guess is that the fault is in the guides - what should be happening is that when the tailgate closes and the cover extends the little catches in the guides should tighten on the ends of the locating lugs on either side of the cover and stop the movement.

Here's a picture (not of mine but of the same assembly).

It's the rear section with the handle that's free to move up and down.

S212 load cover.jpg My theory is that the catches in the rails in the rear pillars should tighten and grip the lugs and stop the movement.

Mine (2012 E350) flaps up and down too. Very annoying but not really had time to investigate yet. Horrible rattle in the boot too which sounds like it is coming from the spare wheel well. Need to get my wife to drive around whilst I sit in the boot and listen out for it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a 2016 E350 S212 and prior to that a 2014 E300 Hybrid S212.

They all do it apparently, I did take the E300 into the dealership who informed me it is normal.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd agree with this. I have a 2014 E250 S212 and prior to that a 2011 E220 S212. The 2011 car definitely did it more (flapping) (& it becomes more pronounced over speed-bumps) but my 2014 does it less. I am guessing the newer the car, the material is less "loose'. But to be honest, it isn't so bad that it becomes irritating. But with the 7-seater, I often have the luggage cover in the retracted positioned so maybe that is why it hasn't bothered me as much.

Thanks for all the responses and thanks for reassuring me that mine is normal.

As I have privacy glass I could actually leave it open more often.

But I think what I will try is to velcro some small foam blocks or similar to the sides of the boot opening so the moving part will just sit on them.

I've got some sticky-backed velcro somewhere, just need to find the right blocks.

It is a design flaw from what I know. Funny to see that thread really, as I watched a video on youtube by Doug Demuro about his E63 estate in the US. Does exactly the same thing lol

Thanks for all the responses and thanks for reassuring me that mine is normal.

As I have privacy glass I could actually leave it open more often.

But I think what I will try is to velcro some small foam blocks or similar to the sides of the boot opening so the moving part will just sit on them.

I've got some sticky-backed velcro somewhere, just need to find the right blocks.

Upload some pictures when you get around to doing this. I for one would be interested in seeing it. Thanks!

Upload some pictures when you get around to doing this. I for one would be interested in seeing it. Thanks!

I've been derailed by a sudden house move - hope to find the velcro when I clear the garage.

I also need to find some foam blocks. I was thinking of the dark grey ones you sometimes get in electronics packaging. I thought that something an inch square and three inches long would do the job (one on each side).

Looked on eBay but couldn't see the right thing. Next time my kids take me to Hobbycraft I'm sure I'll find something suitable.

As I said earlier in this thread both my E Class did this but only going over speed humps or something severe, in normal use it does not move or at least not enough to notice.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom