S350 (2003) Dodgy Fuel Gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jokuk

Car
E Class 350D 2010 (W212/207) Convertible
Hi all,

S Class 350 2003 W220

New owner and member here, I have spent the last few days reading nearly all of the threads which have been very useful but have a few problems that don't seem covered.

I am going to post them individually hopefully in the right areas to see if anyone can help, please excuse any basic errors.

When I start the car the petrol gauge moves to the correct position but after driving for say 30 minutes it suddenly drops to empty (no warning light illuminated)

The first time it happened I really thought it was Low so put some petrol in but £10 took it up to half full (needle had previously been on the 1/4 mark approx)

the next time I knew it was around half full when it suddenly went to empty, switching the ignition off and restarting didnt help.

Do you think it's a sticky sender unit/float

not sure what is in the tank as last one I ever played with was a TR6 which was simple to work on?

Thanks in anticipation

John

I expect it will be a fault with the cluster itself. They can be repaired. Google Cartronix.

To prove it. Use a strong dose of injector cleaner firstly. This often cleans the sender 9/10. If that doesn't sort it then send the cluster to Cartronix for them to check it.

Update - Started car, gauge on zero. Put £10 of decent petrol and some cleaner in, gauge moved to 1/2 full immediately, so far so good but only done a 20 mile run. Perhaps it runs on LPG too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom