S55 vs. S55K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ahd91

Car
W202 C240 Sport
Hi all.

So I'm looking to get a new car in the next few months, and the S-Class is definitely on my radar; more specifically one of the performance models.

I'm looking at '01-'04 S55s, S55Ks and S600s and looking for any input for when I go testing.

I think I'm sold on one of the AMG models, simply because of the sportier setup, but I am aware that there are two versions, the earlier nasp one, and the supercharged one.

Now the earlier models are of course cheaper, so my question is how much better is the supercharged model? I understand it puts out more than 100hp more, and is more than a second faster to 60, but is there a noticeable real-world difference that would persuade me to part with an extra few grand, given that I'm on a budget?

I currently drive a manual Saab 9-5 Aero. Its figures are pretty weedy compared to Mercedes-level engines, but it really is very quick in gear. So much so that I picked it over a Jag S-Type R. I want to make sure that the next car I get is noticeably faster, and I'm concerned that the S55 is only marginally quicker in the sprint.

So, I'd love to hear from S55 and S55K owners on how the car feels, before I go the long distances to test-drive some. Also, I'm anticipating around 1-1.5k per year on maintenance (exc tyres) - is this realistic?

The S55K feels worlds quicker than the NA S55.

There is a 140bhp power difference, but more importantly 170NM of torque advantage.
The range that the power is produced is also very important for that super effortless feel. The forced aspiration engines win hands down here and give full power from very low in the rev range.

It is so effortless in any gear and will leave almost anything for dust in a straight line.

The 55k powertrain is one of the very best ever produced by MB. Super powerful and super reliable. Lots of mods available if that's your thing too.

The 600 biturbo is the performance bargain of the decade. It is missile quick and can be remapped for 600bhp. The torque is unreal in the TT V12 - 100NM more than the 55K as standard.
The 600's are normally much better equipped than the 55's generally. Things like distronic seem to be very common on the 600 but not so on the 55.

Apart from the power train, the facelift brought a lot of nice revisions and the 03 onwards cars are the ones to shoot for. Better sat nav, stereo system and lots of other electronic changes. Also galvanised body helps to reduce rust issues.

Your budget for £1-1.5k might be fine for 1 of the V8's but i'd rule out the V12 if cost is an issue for you.

I currently drive a manual Saab 9-5 Aero. Its figures are pretty weedy compared to Mercedes-level engines, but it really is very quick in gear.

The Saab 9-5 Aero HOT is setup to be incredibly powerful in the midrange for overtaking (safety conscious Swedes).

However, the 55K is brutal right the way through the rev range.

Assuming you had the 250BHP version, which I had albeit auto, you are running twice the BHP and exactly twice the torque (350nm vs 700nm) and I can assure you they couldn't be further apart - bottom / top or mid range!

Out of your choice, personally I would choose the S55K. There is a chap on here (V8 Supercharger) who has a black one and it looks the best in the line up IMO.

S600 looks a bit too much like an old man's car and the NA version is too weedy - you are effectively running the blown version without the power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom