s600 turbo saga continues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biturbo

Car
S600 BiTurbo, SL60 AMG, Landcrapper Disco, Merc sprinter, E320 D6.
Hi all,

You might recall me having a turbo go on me a few weeks back.
I went to the dealers and they quoted me 6.5k for turbo refit and some work on abc pipe and then front ball joints and camber arms.

I got a new turbo fitted, tested ok for about 1 hour.

Its been in for about 3 weeks trying to work out why its whistling and on kickdown it does seem to engage gear.

Thought it might be new turbo, but it checks ok.

I have look on web and came to conclusion with no star comp that it was the catalitic convert must be blocked as all sympton point to this.

This is prob why the original turbo failed.

Can't believe the dealers when they did there original diagnosis did not spot this, but they then didnt even realise the turbo had gone bang when i took it in first time.

Anyways even more interesting is this.

A recall on the ABC pipe leaking and when i look it in they said the ABC pipe is leaking we need to fix this for you £600 please. Its a recall you should be doing this for free.

I believe the dealers in this instance have just been plain incompetent.

New cat (1) for passenger side is £1,070 quid part plus vat.

MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC. 2004 050015

Recall ID # 07V263000 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING - Hide Details
Recall Date:JUN 12, 2007Component:ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLINGModel Affected:S CLASSPotential Units Affected:19924 Recall Date:
JUN 12, 2007

Model Affected:
2003 MERCEDES BENZ S CLASS

Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, CORROSION MAY OCCUR IN THE INNER STEEL PORTIONS OF THE ACTIVE BODY CONTROL'S (ABC) HIGH PRESSURE DISTRIBUTION HOSE DUE TO EXTENSIVE EXPOSURE TO HUMIDITY CAUSING DETERIORATION OF THE HOSE.

Consequence:
THIS MAY RESULT IN ABC HYDRAULIC FLUID LEAKAGE NEAR THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. LEAKING FLUID MAY COME IN CONTACT WITH HOT ENGINE COMPONENTS AND LEAD TO A POSSIBLE FIRE.

Read more: Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Recalls - 2003 Mercedes S Class Recall Reports - Motor Trend Magazine

Sorry to hear of this. The ABC can be a nightmare, and the W220 12's are far from cheap to run or maintain.

Surely the lack of power would have pointed to them to perhaps a turbo or two playing up?

I mean the pipe was a recall and it went in but they did nothing, just said it was a standard repair.
Also the pipe leaks on the cat, but i doubt this caused the cat to fail.

It maybe a re-call in the US but not here. It may just be a recomended repair if such a fault exists.

I had mine done here

It maybe a re-call in the US but not here. It may just be a recomended repair if such a fault exists.

Hi Olly, I had my ABC lines replaced here in the UK under recall. Although my car is a CL500.:thumb:

Last edited:
abc high pressure hose recall

Hi Olly, I had my ABC lines replaced here in the UK under recall. Although my car is a CL500.:thumb:

Just to add, my ABC High pressure line was replaced under recall here in the UK at the end of 2007. HTH :thumb:

There was definitely a recall for one of the high pressure ABC pipes on the W220/W215 in this country but i can't remember if it was all engines or just some. Also, are you sure it's your high pressure pipe they are quoting to replace? There is quite a lot of pipework for the ABC systems on these cars and it may be that the part leaking on your car is not the one covered by the recall.

maybe, does anyone know a place selling cats for s600 cheaper than £1k

I just saw a set on ebay

maybe, does anyone know a place selling cats for s600 cheaper than £1k

I just saw a set of s65 (v12) cats sell brand new on ebay for £52 complete with the downpipes. You could replace them with aftermarket cats for a lot less outlay than buying new Mercedes ones. If it were me, I'd opt for some high flow cats and unlock some of that v12 power !! 200 cell catalysts should fit no problem and not throw any error codes. Check the american forums, plenty of people do this. HTH :thumb:

Any stainless steel exhaust place will be able to get their hands on high flow cats.

Just to add, my ABC High pressure line was replaced under recall here in the UK at the end of 2007. HTH :thumb:

Is that for the 2003 model only? I live in W-London too (SW3) and my 2004 S600 has not had that recall. A hydraulic line was replaced in 2005 though.

Is that for the 2003 model only? I live in W-London too (SW3) and my 2004 S600 has not had that recall. A hydraulic line was replaced in 2005 though.

My car is MY 2000. HTH :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom