Sad loss:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why a loss, it will get refurbished the same.

Thankfully , much of it has been saved . I feel for the students who may have lost vital work .

I'm on this weekend , so may well end up there .

Maybe they could call on your expertise to refurbish all the works of art that were destroyed? :dk:

Russ

Sorry to dissapoint the Scotch Bretheren that have "liked" your post, but the article and O/p specifically talked about the Macintosh designed building, not the students work.

Nice try though Russ...:rolleyes:

I thought Scotch was an alcoholic beverage. I think the indigenous population are called Scottish or Scots.

Sorry to dissapoint the Scotch Bretheren that have "liked" your post, but the article and O/p specifically talked about the Macintosh designed building, not the students work.

I'm not talking about the students work, you obviously have no concept of this building or it's contents and their significance. Neither do you know the collective term for Scottish people, no surprise there though.

Russ

Putting it into a car context. Its a bit like that 300 SL that was trashed by a BMW 1 series a few days back. Sure it can be repaired but it will never be quite the same car again.- Except of course that the 300SL would have had to have been the only one ever built.
In an ever changing world people crave a degree continuity and stability. That's why iconic objects are revered rightly or wrongly. The Glasgow Art School building was a vibrant functioning expression of one artist's vision of the world. I know Charles Rennie Mackintosh isn't everyone's cup of tea but still an irreplaceable loss averted.

P1020406_ShiftN.jpg

Yet again, proof that there's no troll like and old troll.

As with most of your snide, sarcastic and smug output, you again show yourself to be a humourless, arrogant, ill-informed Philistine, who has lived their life in the shadow of others with normal inter-personal attributes.

The patina of a hundred years of use, student graffiti, and the mellowed materials of original construction can never be replicated or restored.

Yet again, proof that there's no troll like and old troll.

As with most of your snide, sarcastic and smug output, you again show yourself to be a humourless, arrogant, ill-informed Philistine, who has lived their life in the shadow of others with normal inter-personal attributes.

The patina of a hundred years of use, student graffiti, and the mellowed materials of original construction can never be replicated or restored.

Your overthinking this, it's simply a building that would be a national treasure if it had been built in London. Because it's north of the border, it's a hidden secret to Dieselman and most others in England. A bit like everything else that's Scotch, as he would say. ;)

Russ

Aha.... a linguistic dispute... good :D

My understanding is (OK, I Googled it) that 'scotch' means 'of Scotland' and is normally used when referring to abstract or inanimate objects rather than to people - the latter should be referred to as 'Scots' or 'Scottish' or 'Scotsmen'.

So here's the phylosophical question for DM - is 'brethren' an abstract concept, or a term describing a group of people....?

Last edited:
What a bunch of old Bore's you are. No excuses for that comment, you really are.

My point was simply that the building has been partly damaged, not destroyed. Some works of art MAY have gone, but there will be new ones to replace the ones that cannot be restored.

The World is ever changing, You need to look forward, not backward.

Bores? Maybe. You Sir are a boor.

boor
bɔː,bʊə/Submit
noun

a rough and bad-mannered person.
synonyms: lout, oaf, ruffian, hooligan, thug, rowdy, bully boy, brawler, rough, churl, lubber, philistine, vulgarian, yahoo, barbarian, Neanderthal, primitive, savage, brute, beast, monster;

So, assuming a YES vote in the forthcoming vote for independence, and given the divisions already setting in in advance of it, will Scotland still be allowed access to this forum, or like the pound will they have to forego it forever?!?

Well , it is a WORLD wide web:dk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom