Sad times - byebye Stormtrooper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsk21

Car
German and British
It's with a heavy heart that I have decided it's time to think seriously about letting my CLS63 SB go and to replace it with something a bit more down to earth for everyday use.

The car has been absolutely fantastic to own over the past 18months and has made me smile every single time I have got into it. We've had some great adventures together on fantastic road trips throughout the UK and overseas, ripped up the runaway at VMAX on numerous occasions and blasted around the TopGear test track with four people on board and frightening the life out of Ferraris and Lambos in the process :)

Best of all the car has enabled me to meet some terrific people - I've had work done on the car by the guys at MSL, Rebellion and Eurocharged all of whom I have the highest regard for and any of whom I would recommend. Commercial relationships aside together we've also met some fantastic people all with a common interest in all things petrol powered and specifically AMG - Justin, Bruno, Don, Chris, Lee, John and most recently Peter to name but a few.

The process has begun and on Saturday the lovely sounding Rado downpipes are off to a new home in the shape of Peter's very handsome E63 wagon. Whilst I'll be sad at the least the neighbours will be happier ;) I'm going to hold on to her for a couple of months but the search for a replacement has begun in earnest and I'm going to be semi-sensible. I'm lucky enough to have my Aston for weekend use, I have a little share in the AMG GTS which arrives in October and Mrs RSK's motor does the practical duties and so want something fun and engaging for everyday use which consists of not much more than driving to either the station or the airport. Current favourite is a Mini Cooper JCW but am also considering an Audi S1 and have this morning asked my dealer to price a revised A45. I convinced myself I wasn't going to go down this last route and then I saw Acid's new A45 thread !! I wonder where I'll end up ......... ;)

Last edited:
Lol and an A45 AMG is ???????

Good luck with the replacement. Looks like you had great fun owning the car :)

Shame really Robin, but understand how you feel.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and don't forget us over here, even if you do go non MB. :)

C63 Edition 1 for sale.....

Ask Acid as his brother is selling it ;)

There you go, a sensible alternative from Chris. :)

Robin you always be one of us with or without amg mate!
Sad to see your beautiful sb going ,I'm sure you'll replace it with something suitable for your need and a bit of fun too ,a A45 or a bmw135i springs to mind !;)
Good luck mate! :thumb:

I'm not at all sad you're moving the SB on, especially as it means I get your lovely downpipes. :bannana:

Seriously though, I can imagine how hard a decision it could be, it's seriously fast and sounds great. I'm sure the AM and GT and whatever else you get your hands on will help though. :D

Hi,
Have you driven a Mini Cooper JCW?
I drove an immaculate, low mileage early one for a test drive - it was truly horrific to drive.
Bone jarring ride quality and every bump seemed to tug the steering wheel out of your hands.
You already know that the A45 is the only way to go!
Cheers
Steve

Robin,

Shame to see her go the storm trooper and your good Self brought character to a number of our gatherings and it's been fun discussing and sharing developments with you over the last couple of years. I am sure we can do the same with the GT S's in the near future.

Don't fancy my SL as a sensible runaround? It's got to go with the next 6weeks ;-)

Looking forward to catching up soon mate.

Justin

Thanks everybody

And how I could I forget Dave and SJM ? Great guys both and real enthusiasts, my apologies chaps.

Re the Mini JCW comment and the ride quality yes I have driven one and the new one can be had with optional variable damper control which made the ride fine for me. I have to say it's a really impressive little car.

So the replacement choice is down to two:

1 - BMW 135i with all the options. This is a great mini GT car, lovely engine and gearbox and plenty of tuning potential. On top of that for a self confessed geek like me the BMW infotainment system is absolutely brilliant.

2 - Facelift A45 AMG. I've specced the car I'd want with my dealer to include premium pack (roof, HK, keyless, elec seats) night pack with 19s (black things) dynamic plus pack (race mode, adjustable damping and front diff), COMAND, and the performance exhaust. I'm told that this new car is a big step forward from the original and everything I've seen is making me forget sensible .......

I wonder what the forum's view is ???? :)

Interesting as the BMW 135i is a peach of a car. However the A45 AMG is a better vehicle in everyway IMO.

IMO A45 is way too expensive for what it is and with all the go fast bits it looks like a little boy's ricebox.
Hope no one takes offense but that's my opinion :p

keejoonc said:
IMO A45 is way too expensive for what it is and with all the go fast bits it looks like a little boy's ricebox. Hope no one takes offense but that's my opinion :p

I suppose that depends on how one defines "what it is". There's no denying though that the 135 is a bit of a bargain.

As for aesthetics I have very deliberately avoided the "bits". Neither car is a great looker really but both offer plenty of fun.

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with either really and I think it'll come down to how you feel in each car. Test drives will confirm which car you should go for.

I'm liking both cars, though I think I lean slightly towards the M135i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom