Sat Nav Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrstanley

Car
Ford Focus
Hi i'm looking for some guidance regarding SatNav's i'm very confused as to what all the descriptions mean, could somebody please precis some of the descriptions I've seen. I'm presuming that some of them have the hardware but need additional software or am I looking into it too deeply. Thanks in anticipation.

1. Command SatNav - Hdd
2. Map Pilot
3. SatNav Prep
4. Nav 50 4gb Flash Memory Based Navigation
5. Becker SatNav
6. No Navigation Module Fitted

What car does you have and what age is it ? We can be more specific about what may be for your car !

Richard

What car does you have and what age is it ? We can be more specific about what may be for your car !

Richard
I Haven't bought a merc yet, but have been looking at 2010-2013 c classes

You will either have/get Command or Becker Map Pilot depending on trim level. Command is 'top' level with Map Pilot being 'standard'.

Map pilot it's MB's name for sat nav but the actual platform it's based on changed from Becker to Garmin with the 2015 205 C Class.

Prep means all the required kit is installed and capable of running sat nav, but not operational, you will need to buy the use of it by buying the maps and software.

HDD is disk based software, SD runs off a card.

Hope that helps.
:)

Many thanks SG94, I couldn't quite get my head around it but now have a much better understanding.

Also

There was a C class facelift for Model Year 2012 - (which meant cars produced from about March 2011 in this case).
That facelift changed the audio system completely from something called NTG4 to NTG4.5

In both cases there is (commonly) the Audio-20 system and the COMAND system. The latter has an inbuilt hard disk that holds the navigation map and can hold MP3 files and has a better amplifier - it can also support the nice "media interface" optional integrated iPod system (which can be retrofitted if car does not have it) and can support a reversing camera.

The facelift NTG4.5 system is much better for navigation purposes in that: -

a) The Audio-20 can have a Becker Map Pilot navigation system attached (if it has the cradle in the glovebox for it, do always check as not all cars do. This is known as "becker map pilot pre-wire" and I guess could be called "SatNav prep". This is a module you can buy from Mercedes (£500) or Amazon (less) and is the "Navigation Module" that you see reference to.

b) The COMAND system supports 7 digit postcode and is generally nicer/faster/more-modern/better-sound.

There is a retrofit Navigation system for the pre-facelift Audio-20 called "Navigation 20" but maps haven't been updated for a while

If you can get a facelift car, get one. The facelift car has a fixed always-visible satnav/audio display. And of course the facelift car looks more modern.

The pre-facelift it hides behind a cover (and in the case of COMAND rotates out electrically).

Richard

richard said:
If you can get a facelift car, get one. The facelift car has a fixed always-visible satnav/audio display. And of course the facelift car looks more modern.
Totally agree. 2000 changes made to the 2012 year facelift car. It's soooo much better.

Easiest telltales are:
  • Exterior: Changed headlamp shape
  • Interior: Display for audio system always visible (i.e. no cover over it!) and round rather than rectangular facelevel vents

Thanks Phil, so is this the facelift version?

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 29
  • media (1).jpg
    media (1).jpg
    204 KB · Views: 34
B Evans said:
Thanks Phil, so is this the facelift version?

Interior shot looks facelift, exterior shot doesn't look like a w204

My car is pre-facelift W204 (below)

image-2973211319.jpg

The facelift W204 has LED rear lights, and different shaped headlights, nicer interior as you previously pictured, and depending on the trim it'll have the LED DRL's in place of where you see the normal round fog lights on my car

Many thanks guys, appreciate the feed back :thumb:

Hi Im waiting for my MB B180 to arive in march 2016 what firmware should it have and it has garmin sat nav should this be up to date or will i have to download through my pc.
Thanks

You may have to update it, but it's a doddle with MB's downloader app. Just put the card in your PC, run the app and it will check, download if required, and install onto the card.

thank sg, ive downloaded MB app. also did your Merc come with free life time maps, as i read on the app saying you can download free update 60 days after registering device.

I think my maps are updated free yeah, it's a company car so it would all just get done at service for me anyway :)

ok, thanks anyway. by the way mate nice motor. Happy New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom