Sat nav options on w163 - non factory units)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shooter560

Car
ML 270
Having just bought a ML270 Inspiration I miss the built in sat nav systems on my other cars.

I know there is a route with buying the command unit and having the factory system, however its so backwards compared to Tomtom/Garmin systems that I don't want the factory unit.

Here is the problem, I understand that my motor has the Bose audio installed and so its not just a case of remove the factory radio and fitting a single or double din unit with either a flip out or fixed screen due to the fittings or something, so could anyone point me in a possible direction as to what I would have to bypass/remove so I can have a decent (to me) system. Screen mounted sat nav is not an option, too easy to get broken into

Cheers in advance

I faced a similar dilemma a short while ago for my A200 C169: Bose power sound system with subwoofer and extra speakers, 6xCD changer (MP3) and telephone UHI - all on MOST fibre optic ...

I immediately dismissed the option of fitting an NTG2.5 COMAND at a cost of nearly £2k, which, to be honest I wouldn't pay for cutting edge technology, never mind an antiquated one; and I definitely wasn't prepared to lose the excellent sound system and instrument cluster integration.

I also much prefer Garmin interface anyway, so decided not to touch the Audio20, and keep a stand-alone Garmin satnav.

It is certainly not stuck onto the windscreen (can't stand those suction mounts and hanging wires), it seats in a customised Garmin holder, permanently fixed with a very small footprint, hard-wired, and feels (to me) very much part of the dash. :thumb:

Last edited:
Having just bought a ML270 Inspiration I miss the built in sat nav systems on my other cars.

I know there is a route with buying the command unit and having the factory system, however its so backwards compared to Tomtom/Garmin systems that I don't want the factory unit.

Here is the problem, I understand that my motor has the Bose audio installed and so its not just a case of remove the factory radio and fitting a single or double din unit with either a flip out or fixed screen due to the fittings or something, so could anyone point me in a possible direction as to what I would have to bypass/remove so I can have a decent (to me) system. Screen mounted sat nav is not an option, too easy to get broken into

Cheers in advance

Your ML has a standard double din dashboard aperture so the physical fitment of an aftermarket unit is very straight forward.

The problem you have is the Bose amp which is wedged up under the dashboard on the drivers side. This has all the speaker connections whereas there are no speaker connections behind the existing audio unit. So, you will need a new amplifier to drive the existing speakers and sub you have.

The alpine 925R is an excellent and reliable unit. We no longer sell Pioneer, sony, Kenwood as they are just not as reliable as Alpine. the 925R does everything you could possibly want including DAB, DVD, navigation, Phone Bluetooth, USB, ipod etc. For the amplifier swap I would recommend the JL XD700/5 as this has sufficient power and channels to drive the Bose speakers.

However, you are unlikely to get much change from £2,500 by the time its all installed! Its a big job as you have Bose.

Thanks for that Alfie, I'd worked out that I would need to either replace the amp with something better suited or change out the speakers to get some 4ohm ones, as I only really use the stereo for the radio and then never too loud (wrong side of 50) my gut is swaying to the speakers and forget about the amp, just extending the factory speaker wires from where the amp is to the head unit.

Interesting how you mention the other units are not as reliable, can I ask is that just in general use, when linked to an amp or what?

Also can I ask does the Alpine unit run its own proprietary sat nav or does it use Garmin or Tomtom, where possible I'd much rather Garmin as I have that on my motorbike, and also 2 of my other cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom