Sat nav upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oscar 473

Car
C63 ppp estate
Hello

I have a pre face lift car with the Command system. The sat nav will only take the first 4 figures of the post code. I believe that the face lifted cars' sat nav can take full 7 figure post codes. Is it possible to uprate the old system to take full post codes?

Thanks

Hi, I believe that only certain 7 digit postcodes are loaded. My postcode is 7 digits but whenever I load a remote postcode i.e in the countryside it only accepts the first 4 digits.
I updated my maps with the 2015/16 maps and it's the same.
I have the upgrade discs for sale on eBay if you're interested.

So, by just inserting your new disc, this will allow a pre facelift 4 digit flip up screen sat nav to accept and recognise 6 and 7 digit post codes without any other changes or up grades?

I'll just double check again. It uploads all the maps to the 2015/16 version. I'm almost certain it allows you to enter the 7 digits. Give me an example of a postcode near to you and I'll check. I've done it on my pre facelift C63 using these discs.

Sorry, it only accepts the first 5 digits and then I have to select the street.

Would you not get Sat Nav updates FOC when your car receives its annual service or perhaps for a small charge? That's assuming MB actually do anything for a small charge, LOL.

I suspect that the system needs updating, not just the software, but I don't know.

DRIVER200 said:
Would you not get Sat Nav updates FOC when your car receives its annual service or perhaps for a small charge? That's assuming MB actually do anything for a small charge, LOL.

Included in a certain period from new. So yes, in your case, you'll be fine.

After that they moan, when technically should be done at a service anyway but ties the bay up for a few hours so they don't like it

So is it possible to update the older flip up screen system in the pre facelift cars to full post code just by a software update at the dealers?

Oscar 473 said:
So is it possible to update the older flip up screen system in the pre facelift cars to full post code just by a software update at the dealers?

No.

IMHO you're talking about fitting a post facelift W204 Comand NTG 4.5 to a pre facelift W204 with NTG 4. I asked Comandonline about this when I bought my 2008 pre facelift S204, and was told it could be done, but involves a new dashboard (replacing the flip-up screen with the tablet-type screen blu-tacked to the dash) as well as Comand, and would cost over £2k.

I've learnt how to use the system (which is 5 digit entry - but it counts the space as 1 of these!) as the least costly other option is a Tom Tom Go 6100!!

Thanks for this.

I didn't know if you could just fit a new Command head unit and link it to the old flip up screen.

I suspected this couldn't be done, but you never know!

Would you recommend the Tom Tom 6100?

Thanks again

Thanks for this.

I didn't know if you could just fit a new Command head unit and link it to the old flip up screen.

I suspected this couldn't be done, but you never know!

Would you recommend the Tom Tom 6100?

Thanks again

I think the updates on the maps work great. I'm sure if you know the postcode you could just enter the street name too??

You can but I was just curious if you could upgrade to make things even easier.

Sorry, it only accepts the first 5 digits and then I have to select the street.

This means you have a pre-facelifted car so the free map update period will have expired by now.

However, being pre facelift thus NTG4 means genuine MB DVD's are re-useable, so you can buy second hand DVD's from Ebay or sometimes even on here/t'other side, install the update then sell the DVD's on! Can't do that with facelift NTG4.5!

Do I recommend the Tom Tom 6100 - yes and no! I have the 6000 which has free map updates (full Europe) for life but the speed camera was a 3 month trial. I believe they now give them for life as well. I find their online route planning awkward (and a subject of much complaint on their forum), and even if you plan and save a route, when you come to use it, it seems to re-calculate rather than use exactly what you saved!

However, being pre facelift thus NTG4 means genuine MB DVD's are re-useable, so you can buy second hand DVD's from Ebay or sometimes even on here/t'other side, install the update then sell the DVD's on! Can't do that with facelift NTG4.5!

Do I recommend the Tom Tom 6100 - yes and no! I have the 6000 which has free map updates (full Europe) for life but the speed camera was a 3 month trial. I believe they now give them for life as well. I find their online route planning awkward (and a subject of much complaint on their forum), and even if you plan and save a route, when you come to use it, it seems to re-calculate rather than use exactly what you saved!

Your first comment is exactly what I'm trying to say. I bought the genuine MB discs and I have them for sale on eBay. I just took a hit on the purchase price.

Last edited:
You also have to be aware that early 204 Comands have a smaller HDD than later ones - IIRC the change came around build date late 2008. The latest NTG4 updates are too big for the early HDD so the update starts then stalls at about 96%, Alfie posted about this on another thread. My 204, first registered July 2008, has the smaller HDD so IIRC V12 is the most recent I can install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom