Say hello to our Motorhome - Big Gertie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Finally found one that suited needs but within budget! Big Gertie is named in honour of SuzyCute's stoma (Little Gertie) :) In very good condition for the year (1981) It's a Talbot Autosleeper Talisman GL 2.5 diesel. Engine pretty industrial has to be said - does not even have power steering!

Picked up from Giggleswick (yes you southerners, it is a real place) the other week and already had our inaugural trip to Scorton near Lancaster. Any other members with a Motorhome?

Looking for site recommendations (or even "mates rates") for a visit? :D Seem to recall a couple of people run sites? Just need power hook up if possible, access to water and ideally access to a toilet for Sue :thumb: Beauty of where we live is we never need to go more than about 50 miles. Although a European tour is being planned!

Can't wait to build up a looooong queue behind me on a winding country road :devil:

Finally, look at the registration. That acronym brings back memories....

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea, but looks great, lovely that you can find something to follow your dream. My neighbour has one similar and they love it and the lifestyle that come with it.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats mate first one? I have a Swift Something 630, just going out in it today for a few days. Kids love it!

Wow, Big Gertie is in fantastic shape, a real beauty.

Does it have an on board toilet?

Reason I ask is that the Caravan Club site in Ilfracombe (previously called Brook Lea) is possibly my most favourite site, and it's incredible value at £12 per night even in peak season, but it doesn't have a toilet block.

Ilfracombe Caravan Club Site

They have another site down the road, Willingcott, which does have a toilet, but I prefer the one without, and cheaper too! I like cheap :)

Hi Steve
Hi Sue
That looks a fine vehicle.
Hope you visit some interesting places and enjoy it for many years.
All The Best.
Johnsco + Mrs J.

Wow, Big Gertie is in fantastic shape, a real beauty.

Does it have an on board toilet?

Reason I ask is that the Caravan Club site in Ilfracombe (previously called Brook Lea) is possibly my most favourite site, and it's incredible value at £12 per night even in peak season, but it doesn't have a toilet block.

Ilfracombe Caravan Club Site

They have another site down the road, Willingcott, which does have a toilet, but I prefer the one without, and cheaper too! I like cheap :)

Yes, we do have a Thetford toilet. Toilet block not essential, but with Sue's condition is advisable for all concerned :eek:

Bertie looks very sorted. Hope you have many good trips....

We are member of the Caravan Club and always find their sites good. Pretty sure mobile homes can join....

I like that interior more than anything - so retro!

Looks great. Very "Max and Paddy".

Had a great holiday in a retro 70's Commer camper a couple of years ago.
Defo need an inside toilet!

Great. A truly happy thread.

If you want to try a Caravan Club site before committing there's one really close to you at Burrs Country Park, Bury 0161 761 0489 and they accept non-members. That would let you see if their facilities are up to your needs before joining. Also there's a Camping Club (different crowd) site at Ravensglass on the Cumbrian coast 01229 717250 for a flavour of 'The Dark Side'. And they also accept non-members. Nicely situated site.

Good luck with the touring. :thumb:

Last edited:
Great. A truly happy thread.

If you want to try a Caravan Club site before committing there's one really close to you at Burrs Country Park, Bury 0161 761 0489 and they accept non-members. That would let you see if their facilities are up to your needs before joining. Also there's a Camping Club (different crowd) site at Ravensglass on the Cumbrian coast 01229 717250 for a flavour of 'The Dark Side'. And they also accept non-members. Nicely situated site.

Good luck with the touring. :thumb:

Good idea.

Caravan Club standards and facilities are very consistent across sites - much like McDonalds, it may not be everyon's ideal but you know exactly what you're getting before you get there.

IMHO Caravan Club sites are the very best quality, although most lack swimming pools, restaurants, and other facilities which commercial sites might offer. There are a couple which do have this stuff, and Hillhead in Brixham is one of them.

A few minutes to Brixham and Dartmouth, 10 minutes to Paignton, 20 minutes to Torquay and Blackpool Sands, and 40 minutes to Exeter, Plymouth and Salcombe. Perfect!

Hillhead Caravan Club Site

I'm very envious, Gertie is just the right size for getting to sites which are tucked away down narrow lanes and which have pitches with limited length pitches. Gertie gives you the benefits of a coach built with the footprint of a van :thumb:

Not my cup of tea, but looks great, lovely that you can find something to follow your dream. My neighbour has one similar and they love it and the lifestyle that come with it.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Brothers neighbours go touring every year...for six months or more.

Looks to be a very tidy unit for the age. I love the construction on those ,very little chance of the usual motorhome leaks. Enjoy.

Remember... A fart in a sealed up motorhome is not funny and can lead to irrational outbreaks of domestic abuse. If you insist on adopting that position as a kind of 30 second warning, I see short holidays ahead.

brucemillar said:
Remember... A fart in a sealed up motorhome is not funny and can lead to irrational outbreaks of domestic abuse. If you insist on adopting that position as a kind of 30 second warning, I see short holidays ahead.

Just beware of naked flames!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom