SBC Part Numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richteo

Car
W211 E320cdi 2003/ C218 CLS350cdi 2012
I own a 2003 W211.026 E320cdi, approximately 143k miles, currently fitted with the original SBC unit. I had the dreaded, but not unexpected 'Serivce Brake - Visit workshop' malfunction message pop up yesterday.

Using my iCarsoft i980 I read two codes on the SBC unit:
C249F - Service threshold reached
C22BD - Hydraulics fault: Pressure regulator, right front wheel.

I've cleared the codes and so far only C249F has returned.

As I suspect that the SBC counter must have already been reset, and the fact that there is indication that the hydraulics may be starting to fail, I'm inclined to replace the unit. I've had a huge quote from a local independent so I'm looking at supplying the part myself and having them fit it.

My part number as stamped on the unit is A0044319712 (Bosch 0265250045). Mercedes EPC lists the following numbers for my car: A0054317112, A0054319712 and the latest version A0084319812.

Spare Parts Store - buy car parts cheap online, car parts uk, auto parts, car spares direct offers to supply a unit that they have confirmed via online chat as being a direct replacement for around £660. This has the Bosch part number 0986483001.

I'm close to ordering but Bosch themselves https://www.bosch-repair-service.com/DE_en/EHB___for_vehicles_with_SBC_system-EHB_for_vehicles_with_SBC_system-0986483001-Mercedes_Benz don't list either my part number or any of those in the EPC as being equivalent!

Has anyone had positive experiences replacing their SBC from a supplier other than Mercedes? If so what is the part number on the replacement item?

Apologies for the lengthy post-the saving is potentially £600 but I could do without the hassle of ordering an incorrect part. Any advice is welcome.

Richard

The part has arrived and is a Bosch re-manufactured item. Cost so far is £669.

Car is booked in at an independent on 6th June. Original price was £216 inc. VAT for unit swap including brake bleed. The car was due a brake fluid change in September anyway so not too bad.

I will also be supplying new brake hoses (Pagid from CarParts4Less, £48) which will cost me an extra hour of labour to fit.

I will report back one way or another in early June.

Awesome stuff, thanks for updating this thread also :)

All sorted, new unit a lot quieter than the original. Glad to be rid of the malfunction warning!

Excellent news.
My pump is noisy but working fine and according to the date code was changed in 2006 (car is 52 plate).
I am keeping this info for when it needs changing again.

Tony

I too have the dreaded message on an W211 E-class. Main dealer quotes £2000. No thanks. Indy (usually very good) does not wish to get involved. Bosch quote 770 Euros for a rebuilt replacement which seems a much better deal. There are four things I suspect I need to do to sort it out myself. 1) Deactivate SBC. 2) Reactivate SBC. 3) Bleed brakes. 4) Code the new SBC unit to the car.

I would much appreciate advice as to whether any of the 'cheaper' diagnostic units can do what's needed before taking the plunge. Plenty experience working on vehicles but none using diagnostic tools. And no. 4 above is major concern - there is so much controversy about this (on the web and elsewhere).

Maybe worth asking iCarsoft (via their website question link) whether their 980 or MB2 can action your 4 points.

I have the i980 and it doesn't do any de-activation or the functions required to bleed the brakes.

I did look into upgrading to the MB2 and I think that it can de-activate SBC. However, I think that this is only for standard brake pad changes rather than hydraulically de-energising for replacement. This is required according to Mercedes WIS and the instructions that came with my Bosch unit.

I think you are looking at a Star clone to DIY.

Thanks - that would make sense. Can you, or anyone else, recommend a specific Star Clone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom